The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My son will be 10 this year and I am taking him to camp for deer season. I have a question.. At first I told him he would sit with me and learn what deer season is all about. He would not take a gun, I would take my 30:06 and he would just sit and learn...... Well, he asked me if he could use his 410 shotgun??? Is this a good idea? I still think he is a little young and needs to learn the ways of buck season.. But then again, if he uses his 410, he may actually kill a deer....

PS..I did not want to buy him a rifle right now as I think next year he may grow into a nice 308 or 270... Thanks

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
take the .410 with you and sit with him since he is used to shooting the .410 . hew nows a nice buck might come in real close and offer a good shot for a begginer hunter. a shot to the pumpstation with a .410 will do the job.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think its best for me to let him carry his 410 with slugs? I was thinking the same. He has shot rabbits, doves, etc with the 410.. Does it have enough power to kill a deer?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The 410 will work but it would not be my first choice. I dont know what kind you have but I remember shooting the one I had and it kicked like a mule. Pick up a rossi trifecta in 243/20/22 and you will be set for a few years.

Remember you can only have one gun with you if he is the shooter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone told me to try those remington shells they make for less recoil in my 30:06? I think the 06 is to big, not sure?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
beerman said:
So you think its best for me to let him carry his 410 with slugs? I was thinking the same. He has shot rabbits, doves, etc with the 410.. Does it have enough power to kill a deer?
yes with 3inch slugs it has anough power to kill a deer it shouldnt kick if its a newer gun. by some slugs and shoot it a couple times yourself and see if your comfortable with letting him shoot a deer with it. if it groups good at 50yds and he likes shooting it let him use it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I would think the '06 is not a good choice for first time youth hunter. A slugged .410 will do the trick on a close deer.

Stetam

·
Registered
485 Posts
as a multi-club/year jr rifle instructor i will say that a reduced load 30-06 is not to much recoil for a ten year old. next comment will not endear me to many. having a ten year old shoot a full-sized rifle is not wise. have him/her hold the rifle. can he/she properly cheek the rifle: NO. is the eye relief anywhere near correct; NO. can this rifle be safely/accurately shot from this position;NO. parents if you want the first deer experience to be good get/make/borrow a gun that FITS. flame/blast me if you want, won't be the first or last time, but this is the truth.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
OTH is correct! The reduce coil will work but I am sure unless your boy is on the tall lanky side the gun wont work for him. You can always try it though and see how it fits.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
beerman said:
If your son is only going to be 10 then the only game he's allowed to harvest is...

Seasons & Bag Limits:
— A Mentored Youth can hunt only squirrels, groundhogs, coyotes, antlered only deer (youngsters are required to follow the same antler
restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points) and turkeys
(spring season only) in any of their respective seasons, and must follow daily and field possession bag limits for each species (one antlered deer
and one bearded turkey per license year).
— A Mentored Youth is eligible to hunt during any special youth hunting seasons that apply to any eligible Mentored Youth hunt species.

Good luck this buck season!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a little update....

Well, I am a proud dad. My son and I went to the range with a .222 remington, 2 boxes of shells, and a few targets. He shot 50 and 75 yards. He blasted the [censored] outta the bulls eyes... He was dead on with the gun. So I asked him " Son, what do you think, are you ready for buck season"??? He smiled and said " [censored] yea dad, I CANNOT WAIT"!!! I was so proud of him, and I think this is the most excited I am for deer camp!! Deer camp is about family, friends, etc... And now my son will be a major part of that for the rest of his life!!

Peace

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don,t plan on taking my rifle if he is going to hunt! I want him to get a deer!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my son is getting really excited.. He gets up so early, I asked him why?? He said " Dad I cannot wait for buck season at camp".... I am also really excited, because he is going with me..

By the way, he is shooting the .222 really great.. 75 yards, he hits a 3 inch circle every time!!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
It's great to hear that your son is so excited about deer
season and you are getting involved in the tradition of it!
Best of luck to your son and you this season!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
hi both my boys have got bucks the last 2 years.they are 10 and 11 this year .my youngest was 8 when he got his buck.we used 7mm-08 reduced recoil 140 grain.all 4 bucks went less than 60 yds 2 of witch drop on the spot.all deer were less than 75 yds.i try to pic a spot were a 100yds would be max poss.shot..the 06 reduced recoil would work if the gun fit him good ? you must think of what kind of a rest he is gona use and practice real hunting situations with it. the rest is a must..i blacked taped a old scope on my sons toy riffle ..i get it out a few weeks before the 1st day and they practice aiming it helps them find deer in the scope..you will want to also think of a method on how to try stoping a running deer.we do a loud bah noise ? they are so excited and cant wait to go also..they are hooked bad...you son will love it.. i am very excited also..if you take him spring gobbler hunting we use rem 870 youth pump 20 ga..my son was 7 when he shot his 1st gobbler 10 5/8 beard..i let them shoot the lowest brass i can find when they practice..then when we go hunting i slip in the 3inch mags ..they dont evan know they make such a thing..i am gona keep it that way.they have got 3 turkeys with them and never once said the gun kicked me dad..we also been shooting regular powered 7mm-08 twice this year and they are hitting fine..good luck send pics

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks and good luck to all of you to... My son has been practicing using a scope for a few years now. He has a pellet gun, with scope.. The thing was 180 bucks.. Its one of those ones you break the barrel, just once..

He has been shooting the rifle for a few months now.. Very accurate.. Yes, a rest.. My uncle is going to let him use those little tri pod rest?? Anyways, I think the excitement is just being with family and friends!!

Peace to all!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts