The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been into archery hunting much the past 5 or 6 years. I find myself duck hunting or small gaming instead. This year I decide I want to spend more time archery hunting and decided to look into crossbows. I did alot of research and decided on the Excalibur Equinox. I shot it and knew I had to have it. It's been a while since I bought a new gun or a bow so why not. I could not believe the the flak I have been getting from my fellow hunters, friends and strangers alike who are within ear shot of your discusion and want to voice their displeasure of using one. Even my own son is shaking his head in disbelief that I bought one. The way I see it, I shoot it well and am more accurate than with my other bows. How can that be a bad thing. I just looked at it as another way to harvest deer. Truthfully, I'm looking forward to using more so in the second archery season as opposed to my flintlock in Dec. Is anybody else running into the same flak or negative responses from people having issues with using them? Well all I have been saying to the critics is "the proof will be hanging on the meat pole" (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i just had it out today with a member on here in a pm message, who thought he knew it all, he dident.the pgc made them legal, its another tool for hunting, i have used a bow for many moons, now iam going to use a crossbow see how it goes, these same people who give you grief, are the same ones who use a rifle in gun season, if they feel so great with a bow then use it in rifle bear and deer season. just let it go in one ear and out the other. they are not as smart as they think they are,good luck this year with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
I got one tag to fill however I choose

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
it's there problem if they can't deal with you using a crossbow
....it is a legal archery hunting tool to use in archery season's now as it should have been for years already....they will get over it soon enough, if they don't it is still there problem still
....you made a great buy with that excalibur product that you will not be disapointed
.........bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my thought process. I don't use a gun I was in the Military for nine years. I know I can hit what I am for out to 350 meters. So, in return I use a compound bow for the challenge in all seasons.
My father is 62 and disabled. I encouraged him to get out of the cold and take advantage of the crossbow and a prolonged archery season.
My point is it is your God given right through fallen Soldiers that you have your freedom due as you like.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Just hunt and don't worry about what others say.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Don't worry about what ignorant people say, just hunt with
what you want and have a great season! I know some real
dedicated bow hunters that decided to get a crossbow this
year and so far they all love it. They wish more hunters
would use crossbows because of how accurate they are, some
shouldn't be out there with compound bows because they can't
shoot well with them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Aint that a pain? Of course the answer is as simple as you fear it is. Some people are snobs, some snobs are archers. I'm sure there are snobs with crossbows too.

Then again, I'm sure there are some people who feel genuinely cheated that they spent lots of money on a bow and accessories, arrows, blocks.. and lots of time in practice.. and some cheeky [censored] like yourself or I can sight in a crossbow over the course of an afternoon and shoot just as well if not better. That must be tough to take.

The most skilled deer hunters know when to be quiet. The rest of us may benefit from the occasional reminder.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm not a fan of crossbows or the fact that they are being used in archery season but you have one and they are legal. Just practice and make a clean shot if given the opportunity. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
In time, this too will pass...I was in the middle of the compound bow wars when the first guy showed up with this "pulley thing" at our local gun club back in the 70's, and the complaining was every bit as maniacal as the anti-crossbow sentiment has been during the last year or so...Bit by bit it went away as the anti's got tired of beating their heads against the wall....It'll be that way here too.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I think a lot of the arguments have more to do with it being a scoped weapon than a crossbow. If it were to have open sites, or some kind of a pin site I doubt there would be near as much resistance, yet the weapon would still be loaded, and shot the same way by hunters of all ages and physical abilities.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I feel your pain a little, I too get alot of heat as you can imagine....but i have learned to brush it off, for one the guys I get it from I know have lost deer because of pushing their vertical bow limits even inside of 35 yards. You say it right here...

The way I see it, I shoot it well and am more accurate than with my other bows. How can that be a bad thing. I just looked at it as another way to harvest deer.
My son (now 13) and I both took does with ours last year, they were down within 20 yards of impact because of shoot placement. I can say a doe kill has not given me the shakes in a long time, that one did. Yes guys can do that with their vertical bows and knock them down quick, happens alot everyday, but for us the answer was accuracy. We have great memories locked away because of it too. The same day he got his doe, I made him pass on a monster buck I grunted in at about 35 yards 2 hours prior because he was qaurtering towards us ...my boy was on him, I kept telling him No, wait, no..he never shot the buck turned and was gone.. Despite accuracy it is still a broadhead bleed kill, angle of entry needs to be just right, you gotta great tool to do that type of precision work, but remember that is rule #1. It is not going to power thru anything.

I lost two compound bow hit deer in my life, one was nothing but a belly shave, but the other was a shoulder hit that did nothing to the animal but leave and arrow sticking out of it. I quit archery hunting for about a decade because i was so sick from that and chasing that deer all day, I became a grouse hunter, which i loved too...but with my kids coming up and property to hunt, deer became a focus again and I needed accuracy for me and them. Not that bad hits and deflection hits won't happen here, but the odds are alot less IMO in the human error category, not sure the facts are there for that to be stated as fact yet so i will leave it at that.

Three years prior i gave recurves a chance with my remergence into bowhunting, and although I was OK at hitting a water bottle in the yard, I struggled with woods and 3D shooting, therefore limiting myself in actual hunting situations to under 20 yards and truthfully almost hoping I did not get put into that situation.

That is no way to hunt, I am a proud and ethical crossbow hunter now, it is a cool weapon, gets the job done very well and still makes you wait for a short shot with the right angle and that close encounter...i could go on, but your mind is dead on accurate here, when you thwack that first deer at 20 yards and it goes down close and within site, you will smile and know you made the right choice for yourself.

Guys still have valid points about it taking some of the art out of archery IMO, I can't help but walk by the recurve and think I need to find more time in my life or by my compound and think my son should be shooting it everyday now, but that is not our life's schedule now and when it is take a life time in this house I do what works best in our situation.

The guys with their whole ego based on bowhunting are the only ones that rub me the wrong way anymore, best just ignore it and let them feed what they got to feed. Come to see, they don't care for rifle/ML, other bowhunters or small game hunters in "their woods" much either. ANyway...

Welcome back to the ranks of October deer hunters! I'll be the first to pat your back when i see that pic. That is HuntingPA is all about, hunters glad for hunters.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I not a proponent of crossbows for anyone except those with a disability.I honestly can't see why anyone would want to use one but that that really doesn't matter anymore.At this point,I could care less and see no need to belittle anyone for using one.Good luck this season and have fun.Ultimately,that's all that matters.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have had a couple of awkward conversations in the past week related to this issue. I have an old compound from my youth that I can only shoot good out to about 12 yds. I don't shoot a release, and I think my problems revolve around finger placement on the string. Thus, I am thinking about a new compound, and yes, a release. I don't even like releases. But, I know I am having problems and do not want to cripple an animal.
Well several people I have discussed this with are crossbow users. These are people I know and respect. What do they say? Yep. GET A CROSSBOW. So, I am feeling the reverse pressure the original poster is.
I stay diplomatic and say "someday I will".
I can be very confrontational at times. But, we are all hunters and it is not worth fighting with friends and family over this issue.
Good luck to all. This will be my one and only post in this forum, I promise.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Crossbows have enabled me to enjoy the outdoors with my nine yr old daughter. She's not into the cold of rifle season. Hopefully she will tag one this year. That is worth more to me than any ribbing one can provide. I will still be shooting my verticle when I am alone because its what I do.... Having said that if I had a grand laying around I'd be buying a PSE TAC 15i.
So in closing...hunt on brother and to the victor go the spoils

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I too take some guff from guys but here's the thing, I hunted many yrs. re-curve, compound, and after 45yrs. of being a mason my chest muscle must be tore alittle and after shootin hurts some so now it's x-bow. Look at early season Muzzleloader almost can use any combo. It got to be for me x-bow or stay home so got me a Parker. BUT i do think everyone start out with a bow so much to learn make for good deer hunters IMO....later

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The guys with their whole ego based on bowhunting are the only ones that rub me the wrong way anymore, best just ignore it and let them feed what they got to feed.
+1

I have always done my best to make a quick, clean kill. Frankly, with far less practice time, I shoot the crossbow better than I was ever able to shoot my compound, regardless of my physical condition or how religiously I practiced. If I consistently shoot better with a crossbow than with a compound bow, and both are legal implements, am I really making the ethical choice if I choose to go ahead and hunt with a compound anyway?

·
Banned
313 Posts
The grief I got last year was the theory that "50% of people will try making 50,60 or 70 yard shots with crossbows and just wound the deer". I think 90% of regular bow hunters don't log the practice time they should and are wounding a lot of deer due to poor shot placement. I was never very good with my compound and that is the reason I personally switched to the x-bow. Most opponents said that archery season would get too many people and be like rifle season, but sales were only up slightly. Anyone know how this years sale's compare? I heard archery sales are way down. Is that true?

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
I haven't even bought my license yet I gotta stop one day this week. I will have one tag and hunt my own land oh the horror of the xbow

1 - 20 of 149 Posts