The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the things going on in the world with corona and protests and everything being so negative around here lately, i thought maybe we could all stop and take a breath and remember the reasons we spend our time outdoors as much as possible. So i will start with a few and anyone can add any they want.

the first cool evening in september when you need a sweatshirt to walk outside and you can smell fall in the air but the season still seems forever away.

Sitting in a treestand opening day of archery an hour before daylight thanking god you made it to another season and remembering those you spent time hunting with who weren't so lucky as you.

Watching daylight unfold on an overcast cold november morning just knowing anything can happen and the biggest buck of your life could come along at any moment.

Coming home after a 12 hour day in a treestand and having a cold beer in front of a wood fire while the feeling returns to your fingers and toes.

It's hot and humid today, so grab a beer and turn on the air conditioner and relax for a minute. The new season will be here before you know it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Feeling the crisp, cold, dry air hit your nostrils, carrying a scent of pine/hemlock, as you take the last few snowy steps to the stand on a sub-freezing pre-dawn in December. (or January).

Smelling the buck 5 minutes before you see him, straining your eyes and ears as you look upwind in anticipation.

Warming up back at camp beside the fire, with good friends, 3 fingers of bourbon or single-malt, and fine cigar.

Edit to add:
Outdoor shower, complete with a shower beer, after a long day on the Bay or ocean catching a box full of fish.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Great Thread LIVTOHUNT!! Hunting those magnificent Sullivan County mountains in places my Dad introduced me to over 50 year ago!! Those precious/vivid memories are with me on every hunt. When I hear this song "It might not mean much to you but it does to me"....pretty much captures it ALL:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warming up back at camp beside the fire, with good friends, 3 fingers of bourbon or single-malt, and fine cigar.
I don't think there is any place on earth that you can be so sore and tired and feel soooo good as sitting in front of a fire at hunting camp after a long day in the woods

·
Registered
790 Posts
There is so much about the outdoors that's good. I guess I'll just share a memory of one of the best times I had hunting with my Dad back when he was still alive and I was as raring as a rutting buck to get hunting.
We were going small game hunting and went to my cousins farm on grass frosted Nov. morning, my Dad was laying out plans on how we should go through this patch of grown up, grown over apple orchard. I was so ready just to get in the woods I only heard about half of what he said and he knew it too. Well he didn't say anything just then. So about halfway through the orchard I lost track of my Dad and pushed on till I came out the other side and stood there for about 5 mins. Then I called for my Dad and started to worry some and decided I'd better walk back through, about halfway back there was my Dad, old shotgun leaning against an apple tree him standing there at ease slicing an apple and smiling at me. Finally he said what's your hurry buck, as he threw me an apple, enjoy your hunting your not at work now. You know I don't think I've ever tasted or enjoyed an apple as much as I did that day as we stood there laughing and just enjoying what a beautiful day it really was.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I was thinking along these lines just the other day. Definitely not the wealthiest guy out there but I have my wife and kids. Also able to blow money on things that aren’t a necessity such as hunting gear every year.
They say we are just buying our time here on earth before we go to heaven but I am not ready to go there anytime soon.
May not have a wall full trophy bucks and I definitely don’t have the money or time to go on any fancy hunting trips but hitting the public land 45 minutes or so down the road every hunting season might as well be heaven to me.
I have my ups and downs just like everyone else and life definitely isn’t easy but I love this planet and I love being an outdoorsman. When I die I hope I was a good enough of a man to get in and when I am there I hope it’s just like it is now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts