The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to stop and smell the roses, appreciate what you have and tell the important people in your life what they mean to you.

At this time of year, I usually spend an almost incredible amount of time up at my camp trout fishing and hunting turkeys-things that I thought were very important to me. It is just about all I've done in my life at this time of year.

This year, for the past month or so, I have run into some health issues that I was pretty concerned about. Long story short, this morning I was at the hospital getting scoped for cancer. I've known about this for a little over a week now and I can tell you, it has dominated my thoughts. Lying awake a night. Wondering what will become of my wife and son, mom and dad, if something were to happen to me. I listened to the Tim McGraw song "Live like you were dying" more times than I can possibly count these last couple weeks. Worried sick especially about my son and honestly shed more than a couple tears, not for myself, but for him. I can't lie. I have been scared to death, even though I didn't want my family to see it.
Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why does it take something like this for me to TRULY develop an appreciation for what and who I have in my life? I was/am embarrassed at myself for getting too wrapped up in life to make time to appreciate the things that are really important. Not that I don't appreciate them, just not like I should and letting myself put lesser things before them at times.
I never understood fully what it meant to be associated with the word cancer. When you hear about others, you always feel bad for them, pray for them, wish them the best and everything. But you don't truly understand the word"cancer" until it is associated with you. As soon as they say it to you, you become cancer and people treat you like cancer. And in a strange way, you kinda stop living normally. That may be hard for some to understand.
When my procedure was done today, my doctor entered the room to tell me what was going on. To my relief, there was no cancer. Still other issues that need taken care of, but no cancer. I literally feel like the weight of the entire world has been lifted from me.
And let me tell you, I have learned a big lesson in this. So I encourage everyone on here to be honest with yourself and ask yourself do you truly appreciate those around you? Do you tell them you love them and make sure they know how you feel about them? If you do, good for you. If you don't, I encourage you to begin. Don't take for granted that people know how you feel about them. Let them know. You never know what life will throw at you.
The groundswell of support and prayer and help that I got through this REALLY tells you who the most important people in your life are and is very humbling.

I'll quote Tim McGraw-"What would you do with it?"

My dad and I and a couple buddies are going to camp this week to fish. I haven't been there since April which is unheard of for me. I can honestly say that I don't care if I catch a single thing. What I can't wait for is to spend time and talk with important people. To throw sticks in the water for my dog and play with him. To stand along the stream and just look around. To sit and watch everyone else fish. And just be glad I'm there.

Take a moment to enjoy each day - the "little things." They may be bigger than you think. And tell those around you that you love them. As long as you are above ground, it's not too late.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Share your issue with those you love, dont try to hold it from them, been there , done that, my son and grandkids know how I feel about them

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Thanks for sharing... sometimes we all need to take a step back.

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
Perspective can be a wonderful thing, even if gained through terrible circumstances. Glad the diagnosis went the right way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts