The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Somehow I don't think the gas is migrating down from the Canadian Shield.

The original article is lacking any supporting evidence. If there wasn't testing done on the the water prior to drilling, how can one make the assumption that the drilling caused the gas infiltration to the aquifer? Sure it is a possibility, but natural causes could likely be the culprit.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
Well according to the Duke Study they are supposing gas is escaping through cracks in the well casing into the aquifer...Just gas mind you not frack fluid... Super high pressure can push gas out but not the fluid??? It pushes out down the hole for the frack but not up at the levels of the aquifer??

LaLa land!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That is true.

It is easier for gas to migrate through the fractures than water. Diffusion is the basic explanation. Particle size, fluid density, pressure drop, temperature, surface tension, ect all can play a role in fluid migration.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It doesn't matter. Generally speaking, if you consider the water and gas under the same conditions(pressure) the gas will migrate more easily. Fluid viscosity, density, particle size, and surface tension are the primary controls of the migration.

This is just a scratch the surface rundown based on accepted mathematical equations/models. This topic is quite complex and there is much more to it then what I have mentioned.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
If the propant holds the fractures open to allow gas to escape after being fractured bythe water pressure would not the same propant hold the fractures in the casing open as well to allow gas and fluid to escape in the aquifer?? But only the gas escapes???

I find that very hard to believe!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It isn't that water can't flow through the fissures. I think you are misunderstanding my point.

Gases will flow more easily than liquids at the same pressure through fractures in the casing or bedrock/shale. The gases will be displaced by the liquid during the fracking process, see diffusion.

Think of a 20 ounce pop bottle half full. Turn the cap just a touch and squeeze (put the contents under pressure). No matter how the bottle is oriented the available gases are released first. This is for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
It isn't that water can't flow through the fissures.
That is my point.. Duke is not finding frack water in the wells just gas???

Fracking is going on at what 10,000PSI ? Certainly enough to fracture rock and well casing consists of two pipes each surrounded by cement where it goes through the aquifer. And this well casing cracked, the cement cracked the next steel casing crackied then the cement around that and only the gas escaped into the aquifer...

In your example...put a cap on the bottle and then put a pin hole in that bottle and squeeze.... See if only gas comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQcSz27Xp8

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
1trueamerican said:
westonhunter said:
Another study that assumes quite a bit! There is absolutely no pre drilling data that documents the wells condition prior to the start of drilling.
You must know what the water in the wells was like BEFORE you claim it is affected!
And if you don't, your screwed!

Just stresses the reason folks should have their water tested prior to drilling.

·
Registered
948 Posts
And may I suggest you have it tested by a DEP certified lab YOURSELF. Do not rely on the gas companies testing. Just my 2 cents. When we had ours tested by SAIC, contracted by Chesepeake, the title page of the results basically said that the results could have been tainted and can't be used in a basis for a suite. So we hired a lab to come out and do the tests for US that would hold up in a suite.

·
Registered
463 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
1trueamerican said:
westonhunter said:
Another study that assumes quite a bit! There is absolutely no pre drilling data that documents the wells condition prior to the start of drilling.
You must know what the water in the wells was like BEFORE you claim it is affected!
And if you don't, your screwed!

Just stresses the reason folks should have their water tested prior to drilling.
I would suggest you have your water wells tested whether there is drilling or not! If you truly care about your family or your health this would be the common sense thing to do!
Especially after hearing about the sad state of PA water wells. No permits required, no casing standards, etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If anyone is actually interested in reading the entire study, pm me your email and I'll get it to you. I have the pdf but can't post it here.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
http://johnhanger.blogspot.com/2011/05/american-rivers-mistakenly-designates.html

The Susquehanna does face pollution challenges like many rivers, but they are from pollution run-off from agricultural lands, sewer plant discharges, run-off from urban areas, and fertilized lawns.

All of these real threats to the Susquehanna are stable or declining. For example, in the case of sewer discharges, over a 150 municipal sewer plants discharging to the Susquehanna or tributaries have installed improved pollution controls since 2008 or will be doing so shortly. The amount of poorly treated sewage going into the Susquehanna is declining

1 - 20 of 21 Posts