The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good product to put on a beagles tail the help heal and possibly make it tougher. I guess I'll have to start taping tails.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If their tails aren't bleeding and missing hair your not hunting them enough. It heal and the hair will grow back. I once had a beagle with a docked tail and never had to worry about his tail bleeding.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If it gets too bad on my dogs, I get a couple of inches docked. It can really affect them when they lose too much blood. I have a couple right now that are about half tailed...I have seen guys cut the handle off a milk jug split it and tape it on. Have also heard of a finger cut off a leather glove. Personally I would rather take some tail off. I like the look.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My dogs always have bloody tails by the end of the day. They just heal up on their own and I've never had a problem. They usuually aren't missing any hair though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use Tuf-Foot on my Patch hound's tail. It still bleeds, but it keeps it from getting too bad. I had a real problem with her tail a year ago and by using Tuf-foot regularly her tail is still in decent shape.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to order some to try it. I was wondering if anyone used that stuff for tails. Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I had one with a bad problem for a while, used the tuff foot on it for a few years and she really doesn't need it any more.

John L

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
the female coon hound i run ALWAYS has a bloody tail after hunting from it wagging so hard while she trees and hitting brush and saplings...

never had a problem with it..but its not a problem...not busted or wide open needing stitched or anything...never dripping blood or anything...buddy is a farmer...hes got some clotting powder we use for anything that is bleeding during or after a hunt...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to lay him up for a week or so, till it heels a little better. Then I will start with the tuff-foot. Its bad. I seen torn up tail before and this one is bad. I didnt look at it real good till today and the bone is just about showing. I've been running him quite abit more this year. This males tail goes a thousand miles an hr.,and it dont help matters that all we usually hunt is briars. After a hunt his sides are usually blood from his tail coming around to his side. Today the blood was freezing on his sides.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Like Andy said.
If it gets too bad, you may end up having to crop the tail.
I have never had 1 get that bad but a few of my friends have.
They only took of what was needed, maybe 2".

They got the tool that they use to castrate bulls and band the tail till it falls off.

John L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts