The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the laws when it comes to tagging deer? the book says it must be tagged before moving the carcass. what date and time do you put on the tag? when you shot it or when you recover it? i was curious because i see posts from archers saying let the deer lay and get it in the morning or they track after dark. what if you find the deer on sunday morning? do you tag it with sundays date and time and if you do is that illegal? what about tagging at 2am is that illegal? im just wondering in case i ever get into that situation. i did have a bad hit on a deer a few years ago and never found blood or the deer and did lots of looking on sunday the next day.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I try to always use the time I made the shot!

I've only ever had 1 deer I had to track after dark.....shot it on the first day of buck season back in 2000 at 4pm...watched it go up over the hill and fall over in some tree topings... not a drop of blood... a few guys I was hunting with helped me look for it....we never found it till 5:30 pm(Buck hit the top of the hill, fell over and slid down over the other side a ways in the Tree Toppings), well past shooting hours....I put 4:00 on the tag as time of kill...

All other deer I've shot, I always use the time when I made the shot... first thing I do after the shot before moving from where I'm standing is check the time and note it!

As far as the Sunday Deal.. been talked about on here before... I remember many different answers... 1 was just like I do... put the Date and Time you made the shot...also from what I remember from those posts, it was said to contact your Local WCO and let him know you made a shot on a deer on Saturday and did not find it and were going to look for it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do what Woody says and note the time of your shot. That is supposed to be your kill shot, although the recovery is sometimes delayed. When you get to your deer, bear or turkey go ahead and use that time to complete the tag. I usually tag mine immediately when I get to the animal, that way I don't forget. Tag your game with a <u>completed</u> tag, BEFORE you move it. I can't stress that enough. {<u>***with that in mind- remember to take along materials to fill out (pencil stub) and attach your tag (string, wire or zip tie), a knife to gut it and a drag rope</u>)

If you need to finish the animal, you are still using the time and date that you first harvested or removed the animal from the herd or flock. The finishing touch is exactly that - an ending.

Do yourself a favor and give the PGC a heads up if you are going to be tracking your deer into the wee hours of a Sunday morning, just to CYA.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Good advice except for carrying the "pencil stub" They don't work on the new license tags, and I believe they even remind you to use a ball point pen somewhere on it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't had any trouble using pencil filling out a the new tags. Also, I looked at a license and I couldn't find anything printed on the tag or license that says don't use pencil. I can see where a pencil or sharpie might work better, tho.
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i always bring a pen. used to bring a pencil but they always seemed to be broken when i needed them. i did have a pen freeze once so i had to fill out the tag when i got to camp. there was an impression of the info on the old style tag though. all the deer/turkey i got in the past i always put the time i actually tagged it because it was during legal shooting hours.

thanks for everyones input, i was always curious about whats written in the book about it. i think they should have a little info explaining what to do tracking game during non hunting hours. maybe its in there but its easy to overlook stuff in the book. i wondered if you would get a fine if you put the time at 7pm when hunting time ended at 6pm.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
was wondering on that, ever get a pen to work in 20 degree weather? Also if you shoot in evening i would not want to fill out a tag before i recovered my deer. what would you do if you filled out tag and went next day and deer was not there. I actually had a deer stolen years ago and then you have a filled out tag and no deer. just wondering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts