The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering just how hard the tag in the ear law is enforced. I know it clearly states the tag must be affixed to the ear, but I see many deer with the tag on the antlers. I would like to start doing that on deer I'm getting mounted, just to save from cutting the ear.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What I do is use a LARGE saftey pin and pin it to the inside of the ear than wrap the whole ear around the tag and hold it closed with a wire tie so the tag will not comeout during the drag

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Very good point. Most guys don't realize how important it is to make sure a cape that you plan to mount is damage free. The larger the hole in the ear, the more sowing a taxidermist is going to do. The safety pin idea is a good one. I tag attach my to the bucks horns. It may not be exactly by the book, but my taxidermist appreciates it.

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
I do what dyvergreg said. BUT, the rule book says in the ear, so anywhere else is a no-no technically. I have heard of people with the tag on the antlers and being checked and not fined. I still would not violate the rules. There are most likely even more ways to have the tag attatched to the ear and not ruin it for taxidermy work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I put my tag on the antlers on bucks that I'm going to mount. In the ears on the ones I'm not. I was told by my taxi that this makes his job easier. It may not be the most legal way but it still proves that I got my buck. My taxi needs to keep the tags with the deer anyway cause from what he says the WCOs come around and check the deer. Which is cool by me. I don't think that if a WCO sees me dragging a deer outta the woods he's gonna write me up for not tagging in the ear. It's tagged, I'll explain to him why I tagged the antlers. They're reasonable. I hope.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Was checked once....I had to unroll the tag from the antler. DWCO looked it over, looked at my license, asked me a few questions, congratulated me and moved on. Never mentioned a thing about where the tag was.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea my taxi would like for me to start attaching it to the horns. I have a tendency to slice a big hole in the ear. I've gotton better, I just poke a small hole and use a zip tie, but would still like to make his job easier. would any WCO's like to put their input into this topic?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I've been using a diaper pin,will not pop open like a safety pin.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
jun1or said:
I was wondering just how hard the tag in the ear law is enforced. I know it clearly states the tag must be affixed to the ear, but I see many deer with the tag on the antlers. I would like to start doing that on deer I'm getting mounted, just to save from cutting the ear.
You do NOT have to Cut the ear...

Get yourself a bag of 4 inch long zip clips... put 3 or 4 in your license holder with your license... when you shoot a buck or a doe, fill out tag, roll tag up, shove tag down in the ear, take a zip clip and put it around the ear and pull it up nice and tight so that the tag can not come out and the zip clip stays in place.. pull it up as TIGHT as it will go, till it will not sinch tigh anymore!

No need for a slice in the ear, no need to worry about having a tag on an antler...no need to worry about loosing a tag!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
jun1or said:
If the tag says "attach to the ear", then attaching the tag to the antlers would technically be a violation. However, think what the District Judge's reaction would be to a "violation" such as this. Most WCOs/DWCOs aren't interested in this type of "violation".

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tag must be attached to the ear of a deer or bear, or the body of an elk and remain attached until the animal is processed for consumption or prepared for mounting.

Why the body of an elk and not the ear like a deer or bear?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
jun1or said:
If the tag says "attach to the ear", then attaching the tag to the antlers would technically be a violation. However, think what the District Judge's reaction would be to a "violation" such as this. Most WCOs/DWCOs aren't interested in this type of "violation".
The law says to attach to the ear, because the legislators and the PGC want the information to stay with the biological HEAD and not the antlers. They use the information from the head and the tag THAT IS supposed to be ATTACHED to a deer's head, to help manage your deer herd...

Gosh, it would kinda stink, if your method of tagging was causing antlerless allotment issues for you and all your buddies...LOL

People have been attaching tags to the ears for decades and a GOOD Taxidermist CAN fix the damage. They can do it better now than they could 50 years ago
. They fix bullet holes, skinning cuts, rutting damage, hide tanning damage, stretch damage, coloration issues, etc. It amazes how many excuses people can come up with to be lazy or to just do what they want to do... It'll ruin the mount. Give me a break!

Of course it'll make it easier for them..., but are they going to charge you any less money for the difference of a pierced ear??? Or, charge you any more?

You can use strings, diaper pins, wire zips, zip ties, wire ties, garbage bag ties, little holes, big holes, big knife slits, little knife slits, ice picks holes or even as woody pointed NO HOLES AT ALL (that's my favorite). You could even use duct tape, as long as the tag is exposed and readable... I can see one of you guys wrapping 50 yds of tape around an ear with the tag in the middle. ROTFL. DT it's good for everything!

The DJs do take it seriously. I'm sure the PGC gets convictions every year. But, no, you are correct, most WCOs don't want a violation like this. Most will give you one of their famous "written warnings" and ask you to move the tag to the ear, so that the deer is properly marked.

I saw our local WCO, here in Lebanon, give a guy a warning at a butcher shop. And, then he was nice and gave a guy one of those zip ties. He even the showed guy to cinch it tight around the ear. It was the way Woodywoodduck described... heck, maybe that was Woody that the WCO was chatting to... hhmmm

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn said:
Pa-Plinker said:
jun1or said:
The law says to attach to the ear, because the legislators and the PGC want the information to stay with the biological HEAD and not the antlers. They use the information from the head and the tag THAT IS supposed to be ATTACHED to a deer's head, to help manage your deer herd...

Gosh, it would kinda stink, if your method of tagging was causing antlerless allotment issues for you and all your buddies...LOL

People have been attaching tags to the ears for decades and a GOOD Taxidermist CAN fix the damage. They can do it better now than they could 50 years ago
. They fix bullet holes, skinning cuts, rutting damage, hide tanning damage, stretch damage, coloration issues, etc. It amazes how many excuses people can come up with to be lazy or to just do what they want to do... It'll ruin the mount. Give me a break!

Of course it'll make it easier for them..., but are they going to charge you any less money for the difference of a pierced ear??? Or, charge you any more?

You can use strings, diaper pins, wire zips, zip ties, wire ties, garbage bag ties, little holes, big holes, big knife slits, little knife slits, ice picks holes or even as woody pointed NO HOLES AT ALL (that's my favorite). You could even use duct tape, as long as the tag is exposed and readable... I can see one of you guys wrapping 50 yds of tape around an ear with the tag in the middle. ROTFL. DT it's good for everything!

The DJs do take it seriously. I'm sure the PGC gets convictions every year. But, no, you are correct, most WCOs don't want a violation like this. Most will give you one of their famous "written warnings" and ask you to move the tag to the ear, so that the deer is properly marked.

I saw our local WCO, here in Lebanon, give a guy a warning at a butcher shop. And, then he was nice and gave a guy one of those zip ties. He even the showed guy to cinch it tight around the ear. It was the way Woodywoodduck described... heck, maybe that was Woody that the WCO was chatting to... hhmmm
I'm PRETTY Sure that WCO Stole the Idea from me
Been using the Zip Clips now for some years....Never got a warning for anything while hunting, but have gotten a few "HAVE a GREAT DAY" After being checked......came up with the idea when I watched a guy use a piece of copper wire to wrap around a deer's ear and twist it shut....I felt copper wire was just over kill and more time consuming and a zip tie would be a whole lot faster and easier!

If WCO wants to see the Tag, just snip the zip tie and pull the tag out, after WCO looks at the tag, shove it back in the ear and use another zip tie to seal it up!

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
I have used zip ties for years.Inside the ear so it can't fall off.Maybe that is why the price of zip ties is going up.Lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts