The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

tagging a "found" buck

72K views 163 replies 56 participants last post by  Bluetick 
#1 ·
is it legal to tag a buck you find, but didn't shoot? the reason I ask, I found a dead buck today while driving our property. its been dead for a while and is nothing but horns and bones. if one of us has a tag left at the end of bow or muzzleloader, can we legally tag that deer and remove the horns?

#6 ·
If the deer is nothing but bones and antlers then it is just
like finding a shed IMO, take the rack if you want it but I
don't see why you would tag it. If you had shot it and not
found it until a few days later then I would say tag it but
since you didn't and it is just laying in the woods take it
and save your tag.

#13 ·
Pa has alot of dumb laws and this is one of them, same as
getting a permit for roadkill and paying $10 a point if you
keep the rack. Let the internet police say what they want,
I support the PGC and follow the hunting regs and laws but
some of them are just plain ridiculous. No need for the
popcorn I am done with this post.

#14 ·
the reason for the law that exists is that anyone can claim the antlers they have are from a roadkill when in actuality they may be from an illegally taken deer/elk... its a simple measure to prevent dishonesty....if you find a complete rack attached to a skull it better have a tag or a permit to go with it

#17 ·
what would be so hard about tagging it at the end of the day on the last day of archery or flintlock? just fill the tag, and put the time you tag it. it really doesn't matter though, like turkey said, its the don't ask don't tell policy on this situation.

#21 ·
Two years ago in the flintlock season I found a large 8 point Buck. I went back after the season was over to get the rack. Either a Bear or coyotes had drug the deer about 20 yards. The flesh was pretty well cleaned off the bones.
I cut the rack off and took in home. I now know I was in violation of the law.

But I can understand why they the law.

#22 ·
Re: tagging a "found" buck

jun1or said:
hahaha yea that's not gonna happen.
LOL
Junior we will put up a collection and give you the $10 a point. oh ya if it is big enough you would not get it anyway and then we would probably be doing something illegal (purchasing game animal parts etc. etc.) sorry I had to respond back to your response because that is exactly what i was thinking LOL

#24 ·
roadrage said:
I would have taken them too . So would have any hunter .Some laws just dont make since
No not any hunter would. only the violators. you cant pick and choose what laws your gonna follow then consider yourself a sportsman.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.