The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended a short but eventful season this morning!
Had a terrific opening day Saturday in spite of the heavy wind. We played cat and mouse with a group of 6 longbeards all morning and the final move at 10am was the difference. And we were able to coax them away from the hens they had off the roost. My wife was first on the trigger and dumped the dominant strutter with her little Mossberg 20ga and TSS handloads..... His sidekick stood over him too long and I dropped the hammer on the 20ga flintlock Fowler dropping him at 20yds. The other 4 made a frantic circle and one peeled off back to flog one of the downed birds. Big mistake because my wife had already said the Mossberg to my buddy completing the TRIPLE! Time to leave that property alone for the season.

Monday was very quiet and no action trying to fill my second tag on a few other properties.

This morning found us taking advantage of the wet overnight. Hit a small farm that has a high cornfield above a known good roost site. Worked like a charm. Tied into a good bird on the limb and he hit the ground and was 1/2 again closer in a minute.
A minute later he was blowing my hat off 10yds behind me. Circled a bit and hit the field edge in full strut directly to my right.....
Let him get to the decoys and rough up the Jake decoy for a full 7 minutes before dropping the hammer on the flinter for the final time this season dumping him at 27yds.
First 2 pics are from Saturday and the last 2 was this morning's gobbler.
Very fortunate and thankful for a great.....but short season!
Now it's time to get some birds located for family and friends.
The fun isn't over!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,973 Posts
Fantastic, congrats to all!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Beautiful pictures and congrats.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice job Matt! What load did you use in the twenty gauge? I am waiting on a twenty gauge that is en route from Washington. Nice rifle.
Dave

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job Matt! What load did you use in the twenty gauge? I am waiting on a twenty gauge that is en route from Washington. Nice rifle.
Dave
Flipper,

It's a little unconventional and heavy but it's wicked deadly in that Colerain turkey barrel.
I am using 100grs of Swiss 2F powder
A thin over shot card over the powder then 2 stacked 1/8" wool wads lubed lightly with Hoppes #9+.
Then it's 1 5/8oz TSS #9 shot mixed with almost an equal volume of Jiffy corn muffin mix for buffer.
Then I top it all off with 2 more thin overshot cards.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Dave
Flipper,

It's a little unconventional and heavy but it's wicked deadly in that Colerain turkey barrel.
I am using 100grs of Swiss 2F powder
A thin over shot card over the powder then 2 stacked 1/8" wool wads lubed lightly with Hoppes #9+.
Then it's 1 5/8oz TSS #9 shot mixed with almost an equal volume of Jiffy corn muffin mix for buffer.
Then I top it all off with 2 more thin overshot cards.
Gotta love the jiffy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts