The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the law changes the PGC makes , I'd like to see one common sense change. Remove the law that says the tag has to be fastened to the ear so the bar code can be read. For those of us that actually get pretty far from the parking lot having the tag tear off during the drag is a real possibility. I've had to backtrack and look for the tag a number of times. I usually try and tuck it down in the ear and drag with the tag up and keep checking occasionally but I've still had them come off, I mean ITS PAPER!! common sense tells you that catching on brush, laurel, over rocks, over logs, sliding down the mt, pulling up the mt, sooner or later your gonna tear it!

I have had two occasions where I had to back track pretty far, but luckily found it. And what if its windy? good luck now you have an untagged deer..not good. Stupid in fact. Why even chance it? So what the heck is wrong with as long as its properly filled out, putting it in your license holder and pinning it to the ear, or better yet stick it in your pocket till you get it out of the woods. You need to scan it?....no problem here it is.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Wrap the ear around the tag and zip tie it . I've been hunting 60 yrs, have killed at least one deer in every year, have dragged some quite a distance, and have never lost a tag. Also, nowhere in the book in the tagging section, does it say the bar code has to be exposed. The tagging rule has been around for decades. There were no bar codes until they went to the PALS system

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Common sense tells ME to fill it out, cut a tiny slit in the ear and zip tie it to the ear. Tuck it into the ear and zip tie it shut. If somebody wants to see it cut the outer zip tie and show it to them. Literally a 10 second procedure. Had some pretty rough drags and never lost a single one.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I am sure taxidermists just love slits in the ears. Just another antiquated regulation that is set up to be a money-raiser from fines for people not tagging deer in the prescribed way.

Guess what? I stopped at my taxi's place of business the evening archery was ended. Some fine PA bucks, real fine, taken ethically and legally by some upstanding people (hunters, citizens, parents). And each and every one of them.........tag wrapped around the antler.

Say you get checked. Let's even get real zealous with it, and have mandatory checkpoints. Guess what? When talking to that wildlife officer or biologist or person manning the check station, need to pull out the wallet and produce your ID. I don't have a bar code on my forehead that they can scan to identify ME, so I have to produce an ID. I could have my tag right there with it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
if hunting I,ll produce id, but if not NO. make no mistake the GW,s have a job to do and are not your friends, if they find any thing that they deem illegal they can arrest you the same as the police. you don,t have to be rude, just know your rights.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I agree that it's not hard to legally tag a deer in the ear, and that's how I do it because it's the law. But I also agree that it's asinine to fine somebody for tagging on the antler. If there's a good reason for strictly tagging in the ear, I haven't heard it yet.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
wrapping the ear around the tag, been there done that, agreed, but the law says they have to be visible and to be able to scan the bar code...So technically not legal..my point exactly. I have also pinned the license to the ear with tag in and never lost one. Zip tie and wrap the ear around it ? Sure makes sense but technically probably also not legal. My point is as long as the tag is filled out properly what the heck does it matter how its attached ? what if I just hand the tag to the warden what he can't scan it unless its attached to the ear and visible? after all the tag is only as durable as the paper, your zip tie might be plastic and not tear, but the tag is still only paper.. pardon my common sense.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm not a fan of this law as IMHO, if the tag is para-corded (for ex) to the ear, horns, or other sturdy part, it's not going anywhere. I would not support a fill out 'n keep in the pocket type of law.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you get cited for a tag being wire tied to the antlers to a buck you are getting mounted that is petty. I would hope the game commision has better things to do than worry about a deer with a properly filled out tag next to the ear.

Reactions: Dukehunter3

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
There is a small problem that I see with attaching the tag to the antlers. Many people today take their deer to a processor to be cut and wrapped. At a butcher near me, the PGC biologists always show up late in the second week to do their research. That involves rooting through a dumpster full of deer heads, aging deer by teeth, check the dates of kill, and most importantly, scan the bar code on the tag. I’m sure there’s many other tests they make also. I was told this is not meant to be a law enforcement tool to cite folks, but more a way to gain important info into deer health, age and harvests.

If the tags left with the antlers, which are usually cut off, it would be impossible for the PGC to determine much information for their research.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
If you get cited for a tag being wire tied to the antlers to a buck you are getting mounted that is petty. I would hope the game commision has better things to do than worry about a deer with a properly filled out tag next to the ear.
Don't kid yourself. If they have a chance at all to cite you for something and make some money, no matter how small of an issue you think it is, then you are getting cited and they are making money. Know the law and follow it.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Don't kid yourself. If they have a chance at all to cite you for something and make some money, no matter how small of an issue you think it is, then you are getting cited and they are making money. Know the law and follow it.
I believe that the PGC won't cite someone for having a properly filled out tag that is attached to the antlers. The WCO at one of my kids hunter safety classes said that.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I couldn't care less about some stupid tagging law. All I'm saying is that if they have a chance to cite you, they are going too.

·
Registered
22,048 Posts
years ago, i didnt have a pen or pencil to fill out my tag with me. as i got right to the road i saw a game warden driving by and i yelled over and waved to get him to stop. he stopped and i asked if i could borrow his pen to fill out my tag. after a short discussion on what the law is, he lent his pen to fill out the tag.
during that discussion i basically told him if i was going to break the law i wouldnt have flagged him down.

i never got cited but was told that i could have used a bullet to make indentations on the tag and that would have been good enough. game wardens are not the enemy, lets not make this post about that.

tagging the ear is outdated. some states have tags that go thru the legs, others have the antlers tagged, PA is just behind...AGAIN :)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I was watching a program on TV within the past year or two about deer hunting in PA, I think it was a piece on PA Outdoor Life on Ch. 16, but I'm not certain. What I do remember is they had a hunter that had harvested a deer and the tag was attached to the antler. A warden was there, commenting on the deer and speaking with the hunter. He never said a word about the tag being attached to the antler. It didn't seem to bother that warden that the tag was attached to the antler, and I would hope it wouldn't be a concern of most.

·
Administrator
29,573 Posts
I think the Commonwealth should at least cut the vets a break who have had their hands or arms shot off in some war. It's probably even more difficult for them to stick the tag in the deer's ear.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I think it all depends on the warden. Some may cite you while others wont. Heck some of the wardens might be glad its tagged and disregard where the tag is located. I always use a zip tie around the ear.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
With all the law changes the PGC makes , I'd like to see one common sense change. Remove the law that says the tag has to be fastened to the ear so the bar code can be read. For those of us that actually get pretty far from the parking lot having the tag tear off during the drag is a real possibility. I've had to backtrack and look for the tag a number of times. I usually try and tuck it down in the ear and drag with the tag up and keep checking occasionally but I've still had them come off, I mean ITS PAPER!! common sense tells you that catching on brush, laurel, over rocks, over logs, sliding down the mt, pulling up the mt, sooner or later your gonna tear it!

I have had two occasions where I had to back track pretty far, but luckily found it. And what if its windy? good luck now you have an untagged deer..not good. Stupid in fact. Why even chance it? So what the heck is wrong with as long as its properly filled out, putting it in your license holder and pinning it to the ear, or better yet stick it in your pocket till you get it out of the woods. You need to scan it?....no problem here it is.
The tag is not paper and has not been paper for a long time. When was the last time you tagged a deer? It is a plastic material that is very difficult to tear if you try to tear it. As has been said, after it is fastened tie or wire tie the ear closed. I have been hunting for over 50 years and even when the tags were paper I have never lost one. This is a none issue.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts