The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently purchased a remington 700 vssf 223 and also a nitrex 4x20 by 50mm scope....i would like to set it up with a weaver tactical base and a set of tactical rings...the question is should i order the normal zero or the 20 moa base...and what rings to order med, high, or extra high? or what would you guys suggest the recipe to be? 300-400 yards is what i am trying to achieve...thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Out to 400 yards with a 223, I don't see any reason to get elevated MOA bases, standard bases will do.

I have extra high nighforce rings on my 50mm objective and 300mm tube.
i find it easiest to get rings locally, and you can try and see which fit. I like the lowest as it keeps your head low. My stock has an upwardly adjustable cheek piece but your is fixed so get the one that might let you keep your cheek on the stock when align with scope. Lace on cheekpieces also help if you have to get it high to get up on the 50 mm obj.
If you don't have the scope you might want to try a 400mm obj as that will keep you head lower. I have the 50mm for night shooting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do have the rifle...that is the scope i have picked out on natchezss...im between the 3-15x42 and the 4-20x50? and i thought about the objective being too big...you think the 1/4 moa adjustment compared to the 1/8 moa is a big difference?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
at the distance you will be shooting? negative. a 1/4" click scope will move POI 1 inch at 400 yards. at 20x, you will be one heck of a shooter to manipulate that rifle to affect the difference in 1" clicks vs. 1/2" clicks. Just my .02

400 yards is not really that far in the grand scheme of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts