The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Savage model 10 fple in .308. It is in great shape. I almost traded it away, then decided that I'd like to get into range shooting with it. My dilemma is, that I have rich man's taste, and poor man's blood. I have been looking at scopes, bipods, and stocks, but the options and prices seem limitless. I am leaning towards a bell and carlson or ultimate sniper stock, but I am thinking that good optics should come first. My question is, what high power scopes can be had on a budget that will perform and hold up? What should I plan to spend to get an acceptable scope? Also, what about the cheaper bipods on cheaperthandirt? Are they just as good as the Harris? Any differences?
Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
bipod - cheaper than harris you could try the new caldwell xla. heard good things and might pick one up soon to try. about $50

Stock - b&c w/ bedding block. could always go with a stockey laminate but thats not really true tactical black rifle set up. HS precision would probably be better but more $.

Optics - depends on price range. for about $400 you can get a vortex viper 44 mm. 6.5-20x. 30 mm tube. buddy just got the 50 mm and it seems nice to me. heard you cant beat them for the price.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Check out Stockade Gunstocks for your stock needs.

Will agree with the Vortex remark...I have one myself (not the viper though) and I can attest to their quality.

As for bipods, use the walmart ones myself and they do the job just fine!

Good luck in you choices!

·
Registered
889 Posts
IMO good quality glass is the key to get started in shooting in any way. I think it is way more important than a stock. Why put a $500 or $1,000 stock on a $300 barreled action?? You will never get your money back. But if you buy quality optics you just take them off the low end rifle and put the glass on a new rifle that you might buy in the future. So IMO think optics first.

Vortex optics are OK. Just remember that you are buying an optic from a company that makes nothing. They are strictly an importer. And they have been in business how long?? Two years?? I do not think I would plunk down my hard earned cash to a company like that. But that is just my opinion. They do have a lifetime warranty. But whose lifetime?? They are an importer-they could go out of business or change their name in four or five years. What good is that warranty then??

There are some good brands of optics out there. So save as much as you can, then try to get the best deal that you can. And buy a quality product that keeps a good resale value so that in two or three years if you have a little more money you can sell what you bought and upgrade to better glass. That is how I did it. And now most of my firearms wear Swaro. and Zeiss glass. With some Leupold mixed in.

I would rather have one quality scope than four mid range scopes. It really is that simple.

I realize that the biggest problems with the Savage rifles are their stocks. So if you feel the need to switch stocks and want to do it on a budget. Then look at the Richard's Microfit laminated stocks. Buy one and finish it yourself. You can save money doing that. These stocks may not be TactiCool, but they are affordable. It has been my experience that when a mfr. assigns the name "Tactical" to anything, they automatically double the price. Just an opinion. Tom.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
like tom said, save money...do it right...every step of it. instead of getting a rifle that LOOKS like a long range tactical weapon, you GET a rifle that IS a long range tactical weapon.

in the end, your happier, and i will be you will actually SAVE money by buying what you want from the start...you buy cheap stuff now, you start saying "well if i bought a new scope........" then you realize you cant sell a cheap scope for near what you paid for it and you gotta practically give it away or keep it and loose all the money spent there etc....

ive learned that lesson many times..i still find myself "well i can upgrade later" just because i want it NOW and no waiting and saving...waiting and saving is the way to go....get what you want and get a sweet rifle..then it will cost you money as then you start saying "wellll if i had one of these in 22 cal it would be a groundhogs nightmare....." lol..

good luck...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Richard's Microfit laminated stocks
IMHO, DON'T waste your time, effort and money dealing with these guys! One search on Google will be more than enough to sway you away! Only one place for Savage laminates and that is SSS...you'll wait for a while though!

As for optics...Zeiss and Swaro are nice pieces of glass but I wouldn't consider them "Budget" glass! I primarily use Mueller, Vortex and I have 1 Simmons WTC and have had ZERO issues with them! So, do you REALLY need to spend hundreds or even thousands on glass for quality???

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Speaking from personal experience I would go with the B&C stock over the Choate. Had them both, still have the B&C and it's every bit as nice as my HS Precisions are. As far as optics if you have a price range I'll give you my .02, and I have some of those cheaper bipods, I think they're called shooter's ridge or something and they work just as good as my Harris ones do.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess some good some bad. I have ordered four stocks from Richard's. And the value was exceptional. Richard's is very slow-no doubt about that. But what is wrong with their stocks?? Here are two Savage stocks I bought from them. I am very satisfied with the stocks I have bought from them. Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
And as far as budget glass is concerned. I realize Zeiss and Swaro. are not considered budget glass. However if you shop around and take your time you can get a good deal if you do not get in a hurry. Two weeks ago I bought a brand new(in box) West German Zeiss straight 6X scope(6X42) for $500. And that included shipping. I would consider that a pretty good deal. $400 for a Vortex or $500 for a straight 6X Zeiss?? That decision is pretty easy for me. A straight 6X makes a great scope. Tom.

·
Registered
857 Posts
HOGGHEAD: How much work did you have to do to get it to that point? Not everyone has time for a 96% inlet!

I will say that I have zero personal experience with them BUT there are enough horror stories out there about them. Besides, there are better options out there for the Savages anyway.

and as for wait times...your going to wait anywhere for a custom. I ordered a custom from SSS a while back for a rimfire and the wait was 13 weeks. Stockade is quoting 16 weeks right now. There are also other options that the only wait is shipping!

·
Registered
857 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
And as far as budget glass is concerned. I realize Zeiss and Swaro. are not considered budget glass. However if you shop around and take your time you can get a good deal if you do not get in a hurry. Two weeks ago I bought a brand new(in box) West German Zeiss straight 6X scope(6X42) for $500. And that included shipping. I would consider that a pretty good deal. $400 for a Vortex or $500 for a straight 6X Zeiss?? That decision is pretty easy for me. A straight 6X makes a great scope. Tom.
I won't disagree with you on that deal! You got lucky! LOL How many times is a deal like that going to come around! Also, maybe this gent doesn't have the kind of "connects" that you do!

Why don't we hold on here for a bit so the OP can reply and give us a little more info on the advice he is looking for, specifically price ranges!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Optics on a budget? Used Leupold. There's no shame in buying a used scope either. Especially being guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Shottieman said:
HOGGHEAD said:
I won't disagree with you on that deal! You got lucky! LOL How many times is a deal like that going to come around! Also, maybe this gent doesn't have the kind of "connects" that you do!

Why don't we hold on here for a bit so the OP can reply and give us a little more info on the advice he is looking for, specifically price ranges!
That is the second one I have seen on the internet this month. I bought the first one. With the way the economy is, the best thing to do right now is save up as much as you can. There is going to be alot of good deals coming along in the near future. You just have to keep your eyes open. CameraLand has a Zeiss 4X32 on sale right now for $299. Now that is a deal. Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
OHaraTree said:
Optics on a budget? Used Leupold. There's no shame in buying a used scope either. Especially being guaranteed for life.
+1. You are right on the money. Keep your eyes open, and your money ready, and have patience. A good deal will come along as long as you do not get in a hurry. Tom.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! I checked out all of the stock sites, and there were some nice stocks, for less than I thought. I was looking at the Super Sniper scopes, and the Vortex diamondback, around $250 or so. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Shottieman said:
HOGGHEAD: How much work did you have to do to get it to that point? Not everyone has time for a 96% inlet!
I had the Walnut stock done by a professional, so I do not know how much wood he had to remove. On the laminate stock the barreled action dropped right in. No inletting at all. A little knife work around the bolt and a little bit of sanding before applying the finish, and that was it.

The other two were not Savages. We did a complete bedding of the rifles. With about 20 or 30 minutes of inletting work on both. And that was mostly to make room for bedding compound. So we really did not have any troubles. But maybe we got lucky?? I think Richard's advertises most of their stocks as 99% inletted. But some are not. Tom.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A 700 SPS Varmint would be a good place to start, top it with a Nikon, Leupold or Vortex.
I know some arent big on the V, but they make good stuff and do stand by it.
I've had the Zeiss an they'r nice but not overly impressed. If nothing else make sure whatever you get has good service and preferably a no hassle lifetime warranty.
When you want optics check out http://www.libertyoptics.com, great service..good prices and will help with any problems that may occur.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts