The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any reviews on this camera? I was thinking about getting one of these to film my hunts, primarily spring gobbler with a shotgun and deer with a crossbow.
I paid $200 bucks for an action cam about 8 years ago and I purchased a Gopro about 3 years ago. Both were awful. The fisheye lenses just make everything look too far away.

I know it has a zoom feature but I am concerned about image stabilization and light gathering ability.
I really don't want to waste any more money and end up being disappointed again.

I only plan on using just 1 camera and I have no need for cell phone app capability.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'll be honest, there really aren't many choices for an action type camera built for hunting, except for the Tactacam. With that being said, I'm not a fan of Tactacams. What they call image stabilization is a joke in my opinion. I make You Tube videos, so I guess I'm looking for better footage. If you just want to record videos of your hunts, just to watch or show friends, you'll probably be satisfied. I bought the Tactacam 5.0 last year for Turkey season. I had issues with it and returned it. A fellow YouTuber, I know, has the same camera and now has issues with it shutting off when the gun recoils. I personally use a ShotKam for my shotgun footage. They are pricey and made more for Slow Motion clips of wingshooting. I agree, the wide angle of the Go Pros doesn't get good hunting footage. But I really rely on my Go Pro Hero 7 and 8 for other hunting footage. My YouTube channel link is in my signature if you want samples of how I use various cameras.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I will take a loot at your stuff.
The image stabilization being ineffective bums me out. "sigh"
Maybe one day we will get there.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks for your input. I will take a loot at your stuff.
The image stabilization being ineffective bums me out. "sigh"
Maybe one day we will get there.
I mean the Tactacam will get you a video of your shot, if that's all you really need. There really aren't many choices for a gun mounted camera out there. I'm just saying you might be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
my 2 boys were getting older & I wanted something more than a box of ashes to remember them by.
not wanting to spend a lot of money I bought a camera mounted in glasses by Moultrie. I dont like the
control set up on the glasses but I think the glasses gave a decent video of a hunt with them.
I edited/shortened the videos to what you see here

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
my 2 boys were getting older & I wanted something more than a box of ashes to remember them by.
not wanting to spend a lot of money I bought a camera mounted in glasses by Moultrie. I dont like the
control set up on the glasses but I think the glasses gave a decent video of a hunt with them.
I edited/shortened the videos to what you see here

I subbed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm not sure how much you know about YouTube, but when you upload videos, you are uploading to your channel. When people see your videos, they can subscribe to you. Then when you upload another video, your subscribers get a notification. They will know a new video is up, and watch it. So when you get to 1000 subscribers and a total of 4000 hours worth of people viewing your videos, You Tube will allow your channel to become monetized. This means they will play comercials in your videos. When people watch your comercials, you get paid. You might get paid less than a penny per view, but with lots of comercial views, it adds up. The only downside is, that money is not taxed. So if you earn over $600 in a year, you have to pay taxes at the end of the year. The bright side is, if you save receipts for camera gear or items you bought to make the videos you can write them off on taxes. You can even write off milage traveled to make the videos. It may sound crazy, but it all starts with that first subscriber. I'm 55. Started doing YouTube about 9 years ago. I never dreamed I'd be where I'm at today with this whole You Tube thing. I didn't understand anything about it. I uploaded a video and it got a ton of views. I kept seeing the number beside the word subscriber. I didn't even know what it meant. I asked my step son. He said, those are people that like your video and want to see more. And so the obsession began...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did a lot of pondering about this and have decided to get the Tactacam 5.0. I am going to get the under rail mount for the crossbow as that is my primary weapon I will use for filming deer hunts. The only issue I have to reconcile is the shotgun mount. I currently have a an Eotech holographic sight on the Mossberg and there is no room to place the mount on the picatinny rail. I don't like the idea of it being mounted under the barrel because I can see me banging it on accident on something. It would also place the camera too far forward for my liking to turn it on when a gobbler comes in unexpectedly. Just too much movement. I want it close at hand (I won't get the remote). So I guess I have to determine if a shoulder mount is a good option. I have a head mount for a Gopro, so I guess it may work, but I hate having something on my noggin.

As for image stabilization, I would imagine the recoil would be much less of a problem on a crossbow than a shotgun.
Also, what microsdxc cards are people using for these Tactacams?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I should ask what the best frame rate is for hunting with a crossbow. Seems like 120 frames per second. What zoom is a good preset, as I may not get a cell phone app top function properly on this tracfone. Should I preset it to 5X? (I think it starts at 3X normally)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I did a lot of pondering about this and have decided to get the Tactacam 5.0. I am going to get the under rail mount for the crossbow as that is my primary weapon I will use for filming deer hunts. The only issue I have to reconcile is the shotgun mount. I currently have a an Eotech holographic sight on the Mossberg and there is no room to place the mount on the picatinny rail. I don't like the idea of it being mounted under the barrel because I can see me banging it on accident on something. It would also place the camera too far forward for my liking to turn it on when a gobbler comes in unexpectedly. Just too much movement. I want it close at hand (I won't get the remote). So I guess I have to determine if a shoulder mount is a good option. I have a head mount for a Gopro, so I guess it may work, but I hate having something on my noggin.

As for image stabilization, I would imagine the recoil would be much less of a problem on a crossbow than a shotgun.
Also, what microsdxc cards are people using for these Tactacams?
Thoughts?
Tactacam makes 2 rail mounts. One sets the camera a couple inches to the side to allow you to use a scope type mount. I'll probably get another Tactacam 5.0 for turkey season.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that's the one I received. It will mount up well.
Any advice on the frame rate and such?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts