1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tacoma Gun & Ammunition Tax Passes City Council Unanimously
AmmoLand ^ | 15 November, 2019 | Dean Weingarten
Posted on 11/20/2019, 5:51:03 AM by marktwain
On 12 November 2019, the Tacoma City Council passed its controversial tax on guns and ammunition. The tax is based on a similar tax in Seattle. The vote was unanimous, 8-0. 112 people were reported to have spoken on the issue.
To an ordinary reader, the tax would seem to violate the Washington State preemption law. The Washington Supreme Court held differently in 2017. It voted that a tax was not a regulation. One judge dissented, writing it was obvious the tax was aimed specifically at firearms. From the opinion:
That different inquiry centers on the language of the preemption statute itself. Here, RCW 9.41.290 uses deliberately broad language that clearly encompasses both regulations and “laws and ordinances” if they have any relationship to “the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof.” RCW 9.41.290. Seattle Ordinance 124833 has a very close relationship with the “purchase, sale, acquisition, [and] transfer” of firearms–it targets them! Thus, while a uniform local tax that incidentally hits on sales of this product (while taxing various and sundry products) might not have a sufficient relationship with firearms to suffer preemption, this ordinance-which targets only firearms-certainly does. I therefore respectfully dissent.

The Tacoma tax is scheduled to go into effect on 1 July 2020. It will be $25 per firearm sold, 2 cents per cartridge of .22 caliber or less, and 5 cents for each larger cartridges.
Seattle's tax has had expected results. Dedicated gun shops have been driven from the city. According to preciseshooter.com:

(Excerpt) Read more at ammoland.com ...

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: 10der222

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Coming to a neighborhood near you! If the Democrats have their way! I remember, not long ago, they wanted a 1000% tax on all ammunition sales. The thought was "keep your guns, you can't afford to fire them".

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i keep watching for legislation like this happening here in PA. if it ever looks like its going to happen, i am prepared to spend a lot of cash and make final purchases of guns and ammo. BIG purchases...maybe BIG, BIG, purchases.

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i plan on buying at least 1,000 rounds for every gun i own, plus reloading gear....never have to buy more

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My father was a veteran of WWII and Korean conflict and kept this huge metal container in the house that was chock full of ammo. From a very young age, he would always tell us kids, how someday the government will try to take our guns, they will never get them all, but they will make ammo so expensive and hard to purchase, that our guns would be useless. This was around 1965 that he made these predictions. When finished with the wall on the Southern Border, some of these Western states need a wall built around them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts