The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read that T/C is going to stop making sidelock rifles. Does anybody know when that will start? MidwayUSA already has them listed as "discontinued by manufacturer". Does anybody expect their values to up very much? That really only leaves Lyman and Pedersoli as companies to produce decent flinters/percussions. I'm not a Traditions fan at all. Reason I'm asking is that I have a percussion Renegade I was thinking of getting rid of. Thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Percussion T/C sidelocks have been in the gutter pricewise for a long time. I don't see the end of production changing that much. Flintlocks, on the other hand have been on the climb. T/C barrels are going through the roof. Its sad IMO that so many nice guns are being torn apart and sold on EBAY. The upside is, by buying the right parts, you can make your gun a flintlock in a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I hadn't thought of converting it. Would make a nice "spare" for my son should something happen to his T/C Hunter Carbine during the season.. What all would be necessary to do that?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Well you have the stock, you need the lock and barrel !
You can scrounge for a TC flintlock, or just buy a drop in from L&R. Flintlock barrels are everywhere. The TC lock is one screw, and your done. Most guys who convert usually sell the takeoff lock and barrel to offset the cost. You can get it all done on Ebay in a few days.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Hard to say on the Hawkens and Renegades.
I do know the Senecas,Cherokees,and Patriots keep climbing!

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
I have seen TC barrels on the the interauctions for as little as $35 or $40. A flint breech plug is available from Track of the wolf. It doesn't take much time for a smith to refit a breech plug and then you have another barrel. You would still need the lock. Either a used TC flint on line or an L&R replacement lock It still won't be a cheap proposition.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Why were the breech plugs on the modern f/lock m/loaders not made so they could easily removed like the Pa Pellet and the Fireatorm?

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Never saw the need to remove a breech plug.Cleaning or any other reason.Regular breech plugs take a specific wrench that grabs all sides of the flats.You need one hulking wrench to remove and get exactly back.Saw Chuck Dixon do it.
Mess with a TC breech plug and it voids warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts