The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I put this in the wanted forum, but figured since its muzzleloader season...I have an older hawken with a 15/16 50 cal barrel, looking for other caliber barrels for it, 54 especially, but also a 45 and 36 cal. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The 54 is 1" across the flats...

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
That would be a 45 or 50cal in 15/16".The 54 were usually Renegades.The 36 and 32cal were 13/16".You can find aftermarket 32 and 36 in 15/16 but they are TERRIBLY heavy!
Make it simple and just buy another gun!

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
If you want a TC brand barrel, your selections will be extremely limited, like 45 and 50.

However, it isn't rocket science to install a breech plug on a 15/16 barrel and cut a dovetail for a wedge tennon, underrib and thimbles, (especially if I can do it)
TC style breech plugs are available from several sources, including Track of the wolf.

Another alternative would be to buy a used/abused TC barrel on an on line auction. (Three rusty TC barrels recently sold for $40 including shipping on fleabay.) Then have Bobby Hoyt (I think he still calls his shop the Freischutz Shop) in Fairfield PA rebore them for you. Get a 28 ga smoothbore barrel for small game while you are at it. Lyman sold the crap out of 15/16 54 cal barrels. There is no reason why a 50 can't be rebored to that. A 50 could also be lined to a smaller caliber.

There are several black powder smiths who can easily make up drop in barrels for you. Might get a quantity discount.

Small caliber 15/16 barrels can be very heavy, however, some of that weight can be knocked off by turning the barrel round ahead of the nose cap. simply use a higher profile under rib to make up the difference in space. I have filed the corners of the flats off by hand and made a gun that gradually went from octagon to 16 sides to straight tapered round and knocked 5 or 6 oz off the front 2/3 of the barrel.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zimmer, do you have any contact info for any black powder smiths?

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
To ream, line and/or rerifle used barrels, or to make up new barrels Bobby Hoyt at the Freischutz Shop in Fairfield PA is about the best known for that type of work. This is the latest information I have for him:Bobby Hoyt, 700 Fairfield Station Road,Fairfield, Pennsylvania 17320. Phone: (717) 642-6696

1 - 7 of 7 Posts