The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice you can get a 30/30 Long Gun Contender. As you know many of the old Marlin just do not shoot the new Leverlution ammo well in the old thurty thurty Marlin or Winchester. See the rifling rate of twist is just not right. They, Marlin even changed the rate of twist in their more expensive lever action for 30/30 to make it shoot better. Now I wonder what the rate of twist is for a 30/30 Contender long gun? Possible if the rate of twist is like the old Marlin/winchester lever. the Contender loaded with factory Leverlution 30/30 ammo just might not shoot well?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have never shot the LeveRevolution ammo so I can not speak to it. However I have shot and owned and reloaded for 30-30 single shots and bolt actions. The 30-30 with a spitzer bullet is a very effective round, and pleasant to shoot. Sierra makes a 135 grain bullet specifically designed for the 30-30 single shot, and at 30-30 velocities. I think they quit making this bullet. but you can still find them on store shelves. I found three boxes about 8 months ago at a small reloading shop-I bought them all. The Sierra 125 grain bullet is also a good bullet, but not as good as the 135(IMO). Tom.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Don't know about the 30-30 carbine, but i recently put together a 7-30Waters carbine to start my boy hunting with. I am anxious to see how it performs. Seems like a neat little cartridge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts