The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody shoot them? I've been wanting to shoot something other than sabots out of my Cabelas hawken rifle for awhile now. Tired of trying to get the plastic fowling out of the barrel.

I don't care much for patch and ball, and I found these for 10 bucks at wally world. I figured I would give them a try. I haven't shot anything that heavy out of my gun.

I normally use goex 3f, but I also have 2f as well. Any recomendation of a load to start at?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have shot them for 20 years out of a 50 cal Renegade with 100 grains 2f. They do not expand well, but I only shoot a broadside front shoulder shot with a Muzzy. They drop a deer quite well, but if you do not hit bone they will just drill a neat 50 cal hole and go right through. You will still recover the deer, but it won't drop. I killed a bear with them too, did a nice job on that.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's all I use! They are right they don't expand they go right threw but are very accurate.Great for front shouder shots and blood trails.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input all. In all reality it probably really doesn't matter how well they expand. I can never seem to hit anything with hair with a muzzleloader. Missed 3 last year. One of them twice!

I'm going to give them a try this weekend, and see how they shoot. I was just curious if anybody else used them.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Keep your face GLUED to the stock, concentrate hard on your FRONT sight, pick your spot and squeeze ! Once you can do that every time Muzzys become much more fun!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Some good advice is to get a peep sight or the lyman sight that is a dot instead of a tall bar that covers the deer.There are alot of sights made for muzzleloaders.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually have a williams fiber optic sight on my gun. It's a pretty good sight, but not really appropriate for my gun. I hate it for that reason. The reason it's on there is because when I made my gun I dorked up the original sight when I assembled it. The center of gravity was where the sight is, and if you accidentally pressed on the sight it wouldn't spring back up.

Two things just seem to elude me. Handguns and muzzleloaders. I love to hunt with both, and I do practice every chance I get. I even hunt small game with a handgun just for fun and practice.

I can shoot both perfectly at the range. No I just don't shoot from the bench. I just seem to have problems hitting game. I used to have that problem with a bow when I first started, but once I got my first one it was on. Now if I release an arrow it is very probable that there is a dead deer. It's now rare that I miss.

I guess I just have to keep at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts