The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that U.S. gun makers have pretty much dropped their American made SxS gun line?
Browning no long makes them, Remining no longer makes one in the U.S. etc.....

Are they no longer popular? Seems to me anytime one goes up for sale in Sale Forum they go really quick.

Too expensive to make?

What gives?

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I've wondered that myself. I love my Fox 20 ga SxS. Beautiful firearm. Ruger makes one, but it is way expensive. For some reason, OUs seem to be more popular. I wouldn't think that there would be much cost difference between a SxS and an O/U.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Browning never had a US made sxs. Most of their guns were never made in the USA.

Regulating barrels to hit to the same point of aim is costly and runs the price of a 2 barrel up. Moreso with sxs than o/u. Don't know exactly why though.

American wages are to high and it was too costly to produce sxs in the US. People weren't buying them, plus they wanted the 3 shooters. It was too costly to produce even the lowest grades like the sterlingworth, any Stevens, LC Smiths.

There is 1 companies that makes American SXS's. It is Connecticut Manufacturing or something like that. (CSMC). They make the RBL and it is a $3,000 dollar gun for what an afficianado of sxs's would call your basic gun. You can get something of similiar quality made in Spain for $1500 to $1700.

Ruger tried a couple of years ago to produce a sxs. They were selling for around $1500 and they were losing their shirts on them. If you find one now it will likely be over 3K if its new or in good shape. That is likely what ruger needed to start them at in the first place.

Guys in a position to buy a $3,000 sxs aren't very plentiful. But you can sell them plastic autoloaders from Italy for $1500 all day long.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It is both the regulation issue and the lock. A SXS wants to twist when fired which is not the case with an O/U.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Many of the affordable US SXSs where clubs but were stout and killed what you aimed them at. I'd love it if I could buy an American Sxs but am now looking for what I can find. There are old discontinued US guns but they are either beat or cost a small fortune.

BUT NOT TO WORRY! After the present President turns us into a 3rd nation we will be making guns for next to nothing once again. Ah ha ha ha ha!

·
Registered
398 Posts
you can still pick up a used old Stevens/Savages for about $350 to $600. 12 ga are at the lower end and the smaller 20/28 ga are near the $600.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
chessiedog1 said:
you can still pick up a used old Stevens/Savages for about $350 to $600. 12 ga are at the lower end and the smaller 20/28 ga are near the $600.
Those prices are ridiculous. I know some guys are paying that, but a Fox B will never be worth $350 to me.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
kimber 45 said:
how much does an ithaca 16 sxs go for i got 2 of them in really good shape? just wondering
Depends on what you got and the actual condition they are in. Also depends if someone wants one or not.

You definately have more value with a 16 gauge than a 12.

On a side note, if you don't know what they are exactly, you should refrain from shooting modern shells in them. Even if the barrels are made from fluid steel.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Apparently you are in a unique place--please buy for me every Fox B grade gun you can find for $350 and I will pay you twice that without even thinking about it.

You might want to take a look here to see how screwed up the rest of the world is.

Regarding the question on the Ithacas, there are different grades and models, if you can provide more information then someone can give you a real answer.

If it happens to be a Sousa just send me a PM--I'll be right over

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
Side by sides probably began to go out of favor, way back when pumps and autoloaders became available at reasonable prices. Most hunters were likely only attracted to SxSs because they offered two shots, instead of one?

Nowadays, most people are attracted to the beauty and nostalgia of classic double barrels, despite their only offering two shots.

Know a guy that has a fair pile of SKBs, L.C. Smiths and Winchesters, some of which are worth several thou.

I used to heckle him about my crusty ol' Crescent-Davis 20ga double shooting just as good as any of his pricey shotguns, but had to quit because it made him even crazier than he was to start with.

There ain't much wrong with a cheap old Stevens double, from the standpoint of hunting with one, if a double is want you want to hunt with. Plus you won't have a seizure if you drop it, or whack some briars with it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I think a lot has to do with the fact that people are either able to shoot a sxs or they aren't. I know plenty of people that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my sxs. But, you give those same people O/U's and they'll smack all day long. I think the reason is they are used to shooting "mechanical" shotguns. O/U's are on the same plane as they eye and are more like what they are used to shooting. No matter what anyone says, sxs's will always have a "lead" issue, since the barrels are on either side of the point of aim.

My oppinion is that since most shooters aren't willing to take a small amount of time to learn to shoot them, they go with what they are used to. Since O/U's are more like what they are used to, they buy those. And the sxs's get relegated to history, while the few of us that still shoot them fight like jackles to get our hands on one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
I think a lot has to do with the fact that people are either able to shoot a sxs or they aren't.
I think that's true. Many folks don't like looking down a pair of sideways barrels as opposed to a single sighting plane like an O/U or pump or semi-auto. Then again, you are not supposed to be focused on the barrels.

I do like SxS's though. I grew up shooting one so never thought twice about the barrels or whether the SxS had a swamped or elevated center rib as a sighting plane. I became a fair shot in my youth with my grandfather's Parker, despite its tight chokes. The only knock I had against that gun was the excessive drop at the heel and the short LOP of the stock.

If you desire an American-made SxS, look for a good used Fox, Parker, Lefever, Ithaca or L.C. Smith. They can still be had, some in used conditions that stretch the imagination of the word "used," but they are well made guns, and carry a bit of soul with them. They may cost some money now, but they'll never depreciate in value. They only go up in value each year.

If you find a properly stocked SxS with dimensions that fit you, they do make fine companions to hunt with. A 1912 Parker from this past Fall:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Whoa there partner, it is the O/Us that have the barrels sideways, your eyes are side by side, so should be your barrels.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
Do o/u users turn the gun upside down to get the lower barrel in the sight picture or does the gun just shoot low

shotguns ain't aimed !!!

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
I was taught to shoulder'n shoot instinctively at game birds and it worked fairly well on ditch chickens for many years, back in the "glory days".

Unfortunately, grouse seem to have completely different instincts than mine, but I still enjoyed shooting at them with my 20ga double.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i'm not a great shooter, but i recieved a 12ga sxs from my grandfather... i can't shoot it for anything, so i cleaned it very good and it sits in the safe...

I stick with my o/u and semi.... its an older gun, i mostly don't want to run it. If i come across another s/s i'd try again.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ruger stopped due to the fact they could not get the barrels to attach to the piece of metal that runs between them. they wanted it to be done with no solder or weld marks being shown.
the main reason most of the ''popular'' guns went away is production cost.
colt revolvers
savage 99
side by sides
Winchester levers
side by side rifles

the other thing that lead to the death of the side by side is lack of interest. double gun sales have dropped every year for the past few years. upland hunting is delining too taking with it the need for double guns.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually, there has been renewed interest in SXS guns over the last decade and sales have increased. Rumors of the demise of SXS shotguns are greatly exagerated.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts