The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think it necessary to weld the crunch proof j-hooks on my swivels closed? I'm in an area where I MAY get a coyote (more than likely not). If the consensus is to weld them, should I weld all the j-hooks closed (at the trap and at the stake swivel) Thoughts??

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I never thought it possible, but I had a coyote straighten a crunchproof rivet last year and take my trap.
I welded about 1,000 rivets over the summer.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I personally don't do it, as I don't weld and don't have access to a welder. If I had both of the above, I would. Certainly won't hurt! While you're at it, put a bubble tip on all your trap jaws.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I did the bubble tip on the jaws as well Bob.
I really don't think that an animal could open a crunch proof when pulling straight on. I've locked them up in a bench vise and ripped and pulled on one of my trap chains with everything I have, yet it felt like I was pulling on a solid metal rod with no give at all.
I believe that if a J-hook or S-hook is going to fail, it's going to require a chain link to bind up somehow and work the rivet from an angle other than 180 degrees, where the rivet could be opened from the side.
I wasn't a welder until I saw a little Lincoln MIG/FC welder on clearance at Home Depot last year. I popped in the DVD, skipped through the safety section.......and learned how to weld in about a half hour. I couldn't believe how easy it was

·
Registered
932 Posts
number17 said:
I really don't think that an animal could open a crunch proof when pulling straight on. I've locked them up in a bench vise and ripped and pulled on one of my trap chains with everything I have, yet it felt like I was pulling on a solid metal rod with no give at all.
I believe that if a J-hook or S-hook is going to fail, it's going to require a chain link to bind up somehow and work the rivet from an angle other than 180 degrees, where the rivet could be opened from the side.
Well said.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think it's a good idea because of J hooks can be open and traps stolen. They can't pull cable stakes but they can sure open J hooks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
never had any trouble with a new j hook opening up or weakening but open one up and use it over and then it becomes a different story.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. that's kinda what i was thinking. as for the coyote that straightened the j-hook: it had to have gotten the chain bound up in such a way that the chain "helped" spread the hook open. unless it was a recycled hook, which i do not plan on doing. I'm new and this might be a stupid question but what do you mean by putting a bubble tip on the jaws?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just a little bubble of weld on the tip of the jaw so that it won't pull back through the frame of the trap. Coyotes especially put a heck of a strain on a trap... without baseplates, bubbled jaw tips, or jaw tips turned up they can flex the base of the trap enough to have the jaws come out of the frame.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
trappin4reds2010 said:
as for the coyote that straightened the j-hook: it had to have gotten the chain bound up in such a way that the chain "helped" spread the hook open.
Seems I heard that somewhere before..........

number17 said:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
Just a little bubble of weld on the tip of the jaw so that it won't pull back through the frame of the trap. Coyotes especially put a heck of a strain on a trap... without baseplates, bubbled jaw tips, or jaw tips turned up they can flex the base of the trap enough to have the jaws come out of the frame.
I did not know that was possible until about two weeks ago i had a yote bend and twist up a trap on me. Jaws were out of the frame and bent. Couldn't believe it. I had a double set, the one trap was mangled, and the other had a very small female yote in it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
A pic is worth a thousand words

Thanks for posting those pics Ed C.
I intend on doing the same to my traps now.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ed C.'s pics show the cat's meow. Bubble tipped jaws, base-plated with center swiveling and lamination. The only other useful mod to make on that would be to reinforce the dog. Nice job Ed! That's a coyote killing machine there.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My Pull test show MB Crunchproof rivets opening at 450 lb.
Kant Krunch rivets opening at 800 lb. both straight pulls.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha. wasn't trying to take credit for your answer or anything number 17. I was just agreeing that that HAD to be what happened with the swivel. thanks for the input. especially the pics! I will be doing some welding on my traps as they get pulled and re-treated. I'd sure hate to find my brand new trap laying in pieces next to a bunch of coyote tracks....

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
That only ever happened to me once with an old #2 Dogless Montgomery (a well built trap). I decided from then on it would never happen again

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
also, dont be cheap and add shocksprings to every trap you own. that will help with stuff not flexing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also chain length needs to be considered somewhat. If he can't get a run from a short chain compared to a longer one. No mods are really needed at all.There is no way a 20 to 45lb dog is going to put more than 100lbs of pressure on any part of a trap with a 8 inch chain.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I didn't get to do any welding yet. I'm using duke 1.75's with the booster springs. Pan tension set around a pound as I am targeting fox and only occasionally get coyote passing through. This is why I originally posted the question. To get an idea how many mods I should make in the case that I did get a coyote. I have everything double staked with swivels added to the chain but the chain is only about 8-10 inches long. Also the traps are dukes and do not have the center base swivels welded on them yet even though I have everything it takes to do it but haven't made the time. WELL, here is what I picked up yesterday. No damage to the trap. And I'd say I'm awfully lucky as the dog went 40 lbs. Caught him by 2 toes. Checked my traps about 10 minutes after sunup. Don't know how long it was in there but it had quite the circle worked. Guess a note should be added to this topic that it all depends on the dog...
Thanks for the opinions guys. And I'm still gonna weld everything and stiffen up the pan tension a bit as I bring them in...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts