The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the load I shoot in my .50 cal Firestorm. I am going to go with 90 grs. 3F powder and want to go to a Powerbelt, thinking about a 223 gr. Anyone shooting anything like this and what do you think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When I shot PBs out of my .50 Renegade and .50 Lyman, I shot them over 85 grains of FFFg black powder. Very accurate out of both guns at 50 yards; never really shot them on paper much farther than that as I was young and didn't expect to take a great number of long-distance shots. I'm sure there are those out there who have much more experience with them than I do. I decided after my first round of PBs were used up that I was just going to stick with PRBs. So much cheaper, and every deer that I have shot with them (at least every one that has found its mark) has dropped just as dead as with the PBs. I will say this: the only deer I ever shot with one dropped instantly from a neck shot (bad shot placement on my part, I think I flinched the shot). It was... devastating over that 85 grains of powder. They hit hard and shoot well, just a bit outside the price range I want to spend on them. They certainly have the advantage of being easier to load quickly than round balls; again, an opinion.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hard to say your gonna use 90 grains, the targets will tell you what you need to do....

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've shot PB's out of my .50 Renegade for sixteen years. 250gr HP pushed by 80gr of 2F. Fifty yard groups are about an 1-1/2".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts