The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to switch to carbon arrows after this season. What are you guys shooting & is there anything I need to know about such arrows?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Im shooting Victory VAPs, which are extremely expensive, but for a first time carbon arrow shooter, you'll probably want to start with a mid grade carbon shaft. I highly recommend Gold Tip, and you should look into the Expedition Hunter model. The Gold Tip line is pretty self explanatory when it comes to choosing the spine. You'll probably need the 5575 model, if you're shooting 70# of draw weight or less and dont have a crazy long draw length or are shooting 175 grain broadheads or something. 5575s work for the majority of adult male shooters. These are in my opinion the most durable carbon shafts on the market, have better straightness retention than any other brand, and are a good mid-weight carbon hunting shaft, great for pretty much every North American game animal you could want to pursue. The come in at right around $60/dozen cut and fletched including inserts which doesnt break the bank either. Until I started shooting the Victory VAPs, I shot Gold Tips exclusively, and have killed about 100 whitetails with them, not to mention winning an IBO World Championship with them too. If you post your draw length, draw weight, and point weight, we can verify the corrct spine for you. You certainly wont be disappointed with them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Gold Tips are good I shoot the tried and true Beman ICS 400s...Straight enough,Made in USA, relatively inexpensive and easy to get. I used to shoot Easton Axis they were nice but not sure I really shot any worse switching back to Bemans. Lots of choices out there. Gold tips, Beman, Easton,Carbon Express. I know Beman and Easton are made here. Some of the others not so much.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I second the Bemans ICS. They have good tolerances, are made in America and inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
If you go with Carbon Express, use their adjusted weight calculation on their website to determine your weight and then used the selection chart. Depending on your setup, without that, you could pick an under spined arrow.

I have some Easton Axis also. Arrow inserts are inside the arrow and you need to buy collars when using broadheads. I'm still playing with these things so i don;t have much to say yet.

The reason I'm looking at the Eastons is that i want to move away from Carbon Express since they are made in Mexico.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone. After some research I’m leaning towards Gold Tips.
One more question, Have any of you had bad experiences while hunting with carbon arrows? I watch a lot of hunting vids on YouTube and it seems that people carbon arrows often break off in the animal and/or don’t get the great of penetration?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I've never had a bad experience because of the arrow itself. The reason i did not get a pass through and they broke was because of poor shot placement, high and in the shoulder. When its put in the right spot, complete pass throughs. In most case cases i can just clean off the arrow and use it again.

The reason you won;t get great penetration, other than trying to put it through both shoulder bones is because of the setup and low KE. If you are shooting a light arrow and putting some big mechanical on there, then your KE can be low and not provide enough energy to get the broadhead to open and move through the animal. The one thing with carbon arrows is that you can select to light of an arrow. This not only can hurt in trying to tune it, but will lead to poor penetration.

I'm shooting an 475 gr arrow at about 291 fps, with a KE of 89 ft/lbs. The buck i shot this year was at 37 yards looking at me and he never flinched until the arrow had already passed through him. i'm shooting Grizz tricks and they have been slicing through deer nicely for two years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Muzzy tech. staff says collars are not need for AXIS arrows. Have used AXIS arrows for years without the collars without any negative signs or results.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Its pretty rare that I don't get pass throughs on whitetails. Unless you hit the heavy part of the off shoulder, the arrow will most likely pass through. I killed a doe last week at 51 yards and it zipped through like she wasn't even there. A good broadhead, good shot placement, and a well tuned bow equals pass throughs. The gold tips are going to put you between 375 and 425 grains with a 100 grain broadhead which is a great place to be for whitetails.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again everyone for your input. I’m getting ready to order from Gold Tip, still on the fence as to whether I should go with the XT Hunters or Expedition Hunter arrows. Whichever way I go, I’m excited about finally making the switch to carbon arrows; can’t wait to start shooting them.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Let me make up your mind for you. The difference in tolerances between the expedition hunter and the xt hunter can be eliminated by cutting one inch off the rear of the expedition hunter shaft, then cutting the arrow to the correct length from the front. The imperfections occur near the ends of the shafts, and by cutting arrows in this manner, you can make an inexpensive shaft identical to a more expensive one. Buy the expedition hunters. A normal shooter won't be able to tell the difference regardless, but have then cut in the manner I explained.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I switched to Carbon Express Hunter Maximas a couple years ago when I got an entirely new rig. And shootbowtech is exactly on the mark to recommend to cut both ends for maximum straightness.

You will love them compared to aluminums. And with a carbon, never worry about a bent arrow. They can break, but they won't "slightly bend". Heck, I always worried even when lowering the bow out of a tree with a quiver on it if I let the weight hit on the nocks, could it bend that metal shaft a millimeter or two?

I shoot all new arrows one or two times, then set aside the "hunting" arrows verses the "practice" ones. I inspect the practice arrows rather frequently, and any sign of splintering, it's now a stake for the turkey decoy.

I believe that like bows, there are many good products, one of the better arrows from the established manufacturers, can't go wrong. I would not skimp on price, either. That shaft is a key element in the accuracy of the kill shot. Not saying to go crazy and over the top, but you also get what you pay for. The cost differences are in the manufacturing process, find a mid-point.

While I am a decently built and extremely handsome dude, I'm not a huge burly man. I have a Z7 at 28 inches and 60 pounds. I shot my buck, a good full sized one, last year at a distance a shade under 20 yards, broadside through the ribs, with a two-blade Snyper mech. It was gonna get warm that day and I didn't look long for the arrow.

I found it in the early spring about 30 yards or so, maybe a little more, past where I hit that buck. Awesome zip and penetration.

Keep us posted. I'm guessing someday you might update this thread with a post that just has that "thumbs up smilie".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts