The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a life long finger shooter. I have tried shooting a release several times, but never very seriously. I am seriously thinking about making the switch here soon though. Do you guys have an advice or suggestions on the best way to go about it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
buy a cheap one and try it. i've only switched to release recently myself and shot fingers for the large majority of my hunting career. you can pick up a cobra or something similar for $20, so start there and see if its something you think will last.

it takes a little getting use to, but not all that hard. biggest thing for me was getting use to wearing the release in the stand all the time and not having it get in the way or hitting things and making noise, versus not having that with fingers. or having that 'surprise' visit before you're set up. i've shot deer with fingers that came in before i was even ready just by grabbing the bow and letting one fly, and you cant do that with release, so i make sure i wear my release walking in, and then have it right on my side while climbing in case it happens.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a "T" handle style release, with a thumb trigger. Clip it to your D Loop, and leave it on your bow. Nothing hanging around your wrist and getting in the way or making noise.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,785 Posts
Personally I would go to your local Archery shop and try out the different releases they have.
The problem with going with the cheap one is you may go through 3 or 4 before you find what you like, then it's not so cheap no more.
Once you get comfortable with a release you won't look back.
The difference in accuracy can be substantial.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"The problem with going with the cheap one is you may go through 3 or 4 before you find what you like, then it's not so cheap no more."

'IF' the move is decided to switch, then yes, but to decide whether to switch or not, getting an expensive release may not be necessary. many years ago, i tried a release for a little, and opted to stay with fingers; i didnt need a great release to do that, just shot a cheap one for a few days and realized it wasnt for me, at the time.

plus, when i DID switch, i shot a cheap one for few years, and only after a couple years did i want something a little different. i could have bought a better one from the start, but without shooting experience with one, i wouldnt know which one i preferred best. i started out with the cheapest one, and used that to get an idea of what i liked better. and that was between wrist strap styles, which i knew i wanted, but someone might not know if they even want wrist strap or T handle styles, so sometimes you have to go thru something a little to get a better idea for it.

those are just my thoughts though...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was also a finger shooter for my first 25 yrs of hunting,until shoulder problems forced me to switch to a release. I tried several different releases that my buddy's used,but they were all too much of a drastic change in my shooting form.Then I tried the Winn's Free Flight. I have been using it for over 15 years now,and I'm very happy with it. It was as close as I could find to my original finger drawing form,anchor point,etc. And it also put less stress on the muscles and tendons that were giving me problems.

Bob

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow yea those free flights definitely look good for someone making the switch. Nice and short, and look like anchor point would be a lot closer compared to some of the other releases I have looked at. The relax trigger looks like an interesting way to go. A lot of the look really long.

I thought about a T handle thumb style, but I can almost guarantee I would let go of it and launch it with the bow at some point.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Potter Co. Joe said:
Personally I would go to your local Archery shop and try out the different releases they have.
The problem with going with the cheap one is you may go through 3 or 4 before you find what you like, then it's not so cheap no more.
Once you get comfortable with a release you won't look back.
The difference in accuracy can be substantial.
Good Luck.
This^, and to add, cheap releases absolutely do not have the adjustability and feel of higher end releases. IMHO the difference is night and day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts