The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has experience with using switchgrass as screening cover for your food plots or bedding areas? If you could explain how you went about the process of getting the switchgrass established that would be great. Also where you bought the seeds or plants from and how you planted them and care and maintenance. Can switchgrass be planted without heavy equipment i.e. rake, shovels, sweat equity?

Thanks,

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Contact your local farm extension agent, they can help you out and it s free.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
contact hilltop seed at 814-594-2966. He used to be a sponsor on this forum.

I planted cave in rock switchgrass based on my conversation with the owner. I roundup the area where i planted in late fall and then broadcasted the seed in March still going strong after 4 years. Then if I recall in May I sprayed to kill the grass that was growing with 24bd

·
Registered
303 Posts
Then if I recall in May I sprayed to kill the grass that was growing with 24bd
24DB won't kill grass. You probably used it (or the more common 2-4d) to kill broadleaf weeds.

Another popular, and probably cheaper option is egyptian wheat. Sun hemp can get tall, and is easy to grow as well.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I have used Egyptian Wheat in the past. It grows taller than switch grass, but unlike switch grass, it is an annual that you will need to plant every year.

As Joe mentioned, cave in rock is usually considered the top variety to plant. Lynnappelman (sp?) has posted up some good information on planting switchgrass. The seed needs to stratify in order to germinate...and if I recall correctly, they were putting the bags of seed in a cold water stream prior to planting. I'm not sure if it was in this forum or the small game forum - they were planting large areas of switchgrass for pheasants.

·
Registered
960 Posts
A switchgrass planting really takes 3 years to get to the tall thick stage you would need for a screen. Wouldn't be much 1st year and you should cut it 2nd year to really get it established.

·
Registered
448 Posts
check out Ernst seed in Meadville. I've used Egyptian Wheat but is fell over and is known to do that in snow or other weather.
I also have Miscanthus Giganteous too, its awesome, but taking a while to grow.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I'll second using Ernst seed. Got about 200lbs of seed coming from them tomorrow. Cave-in-rock switchgrass from them is $6/lb. Way cheaper than any place else I've found. I'll be doing a 6 acre switch grass planting to help get deer funneled across a cleared area.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I'll second using Ernst seed. Got about 200lbs of seed coming from them tomorrow. Cave-in-rock switchgrass from them is $6/lb. Way cheaper than any place else I've found. I'll be doing a 6 acre switch grass planting to help get deer funneled across a cleared area.
Did you check the germination rate on the CIR switchgrass?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It doesn't have that info on their site just a recommendation of 8lbs per acre which seems on par to most of the other seed dealers.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
OK, check the germination rate once it arrives. You may need to apply more seed if the germ rate is not up to par.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts