The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know Dixon's in Allentown has it...looking for a place closer to home in Wyoming, susq, or Bradford counties to buy it....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Muncy, northeast trade company, not far from lycoming mall.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLACKBRUIN....thanks...picked it up on Saturday. his last can, he will have more in October.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
look for Olde Eynsford black powder, its a couple years old now, made by Goex and shoots competitively with Swiss plus its $10 cheaper than Swiss.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
imho swiss is superior to goex oe but i shoot goex, i don't shoot competitive just woods walks etc....

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Can you tell the difference from the two if they weren,t in marked cans?Can you also tell the difference between them from the smell,residue and smoke?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
good ole boy said:
Can you tell the difference from the two if they weren,t in marked cans?Can you also tell the difference between them from the smell,residue and smoke?
Swiss has been a favorite of BP cartridge shooters due to requiring less of it to equal regular goex on a grain to grain equal measurement. You can get more "pop" into a casing. Olde Enny looks to be an attempt by Goex to market a powder to compete with Swiss in the cartridge shooter market. Olde Enny has a lot of "smalls' in the grind. Those who have tried it in a front stuffer say that they drop an "F". In other words, if using FFF goex, go to FF Olde Enny and 1.5 if using FF and so on.

People who use Swiss will say it burns cleaner. It does due to a high grade of charcoal used in the manufacturing process. However, if using less Swiss, your generally using less of it to equal what regular Goex obtained. So it would be cleaner just based on the lesser amount used .. residue wise.

By in large, most competitive shooters in Pa are using straight ol' run of the mill Goex. You get a load developed and you stick with it. Changing powders requires a new workup. For what gain in the end? To each his own. Swiss doesn't give an edge accuracy wise. I think many initially choose it hoping it does. It all comes down to load development and practice in the end.

I'm happy we still have the choices and people are burning up what they like the best. More the merrier!

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me black powder is what it is. I shoot both Goex, and Swiss. I shoot a PRB in my percussion sidelocks, and flinters. Swabbing is not an issue, as the lubed patch softens,and cleans the fouling as the prb is loaded. Now when shooting an inline with a saboted bullet, fouling, and swabbing is an issue. The minimal difference in fouling between Goex, and Swiss does not matter. A follow up loading, without swabbing, can be difficult, especially in cold weather. (Hunting) Don't get me wrong, you will be able to reload, but there will be resistance and tight spots, you will have to push by. Both powders have excellent ignition. I find that Swiss produces more smoke, which I think is cool. Accuracy, at least for me is about the same. When I go to Maine I buy powder at the Maine Powder House, to avoid shipping and hazmat charges. Swiss is $6.50 a pound more than Goex. Is it worth it? Try each and make your own decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts