The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This particular games lands I am hunting has lots of bear sign, but I haven't seen any, until today.

Heard a couple of shots around 9am, from oh.....couple hundred yards away. I continue sitting and watching and off to my left I see movement. Black movement!

Here comes a bear, about 200 lbs, running straight at me! I throw my gun up, but all I see is head. I'm not about to shoot a bear in the head, no matter how bad I want one!

It stop behind a tree and again, only part of it's head is showing. By now, the bear is close. Like 10' close! I'm hunting with a scoped handgun, so I'm trying to will the bears body to come into view.

Suddenly the bear darts further to my left and runs up a small hill behind me. I had to twist my torso and thought I had a good shot, but looks like a clean miss.

I scoured the surrounding scrub oak in a 100 yard circle, but could find no blood, hair, etc. I sat for a few more hours, but there was no further activity. When I finally decided to leave, I again checked the area, but nothing.

I later bumped into a hunter who said three other hunters had bumped a bear which was heading away from my location.

Bear 1, Me 0

·
Super Moderator
27,526 Posts
Bummer on the miss, but sounds like it was a ton of excitement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts