The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our pig hunt in. My buddy got a Russian, the three of us got blends.

I learned a few things.
Pig hunting is fun.
Pig hunting with bay dogs is a treat.
They really dont have a curious bone in their body. They run.
Loshbough http://loshbough.com/ seemed to be a pretty good place to go. It is a fenced pig hunt, the fence is around 770 ac.
I still hate Nos Partitions.

We got there Fri afternoon and got our stuff in the lodge. Rodger the guide showed up and we talked. He suggested we start a stalk at 6A on Sat, so that was what we did.
The woods are pretty young, about 1/2 open and 1/2 thick.
Sat AM we stalked until about 0815 and got up on a boar behind a down tree. The son was in the front but since this was all new to all of us, I think things didnt click. The boar bolted down a ravine and the woods took off. There were probably 12 pigs down there and my buddy got a round off at one going up the other side of the ravine and dropped her with a Gameking to the spine at around 40 yds. One other stopped and I was lined up on it but I thought the son was also lined up on it, but he wasnt, so it bolted. We took that to get processed and resumed stalking until about 1300 when we broke for lunch.
Went back in at 1500 with puppies. It was not at all what I was expecting. The dogs chase them until the pigs decide to stop in a creek bed or fallen trees. Your job is to keep the dogs close enough that you can close because 1 of 5 things will happen. 1. a boar will get mad and leave, which will break the bay. 2. The pigs will rest up, and run, and break the bay. 3. The pigs will hear a stick break, and they will break the bay. 4. The pigs will see a person, and break the bay. 5. You will get close enough to shoot one. I said it was like sprint stalking. You keep up with the pups, then go slow and quiet for the last 70 yards. At one point we were within 12 feet of a big group that was bayed up and we were in mt laurel. Couldnt see a thing. Then they broke. Trees swayed and the ground shook. The guide said the dogs couldnt count. He told them three and they brought 30. It was a hair on the neck moment. Eventually we caught up to the dogs and they had one pig bayed and we got close and the daughter took it at about 12 yards. The Partition hit the left shoulder and took bone into the vitals wiping out the heart and lungs. (this plays a part in the next chapter) BY the time we got that out, it was close to 1830. The son and I took a short stalk but didnt see anything. My buddys gps said we covered 8.1 miles, you criss cross and go up and down a lot.

Day #2 started out similar. 0600 start stalking. At about 0845 we saw two coming up a trail towards us at around 50 yds. The son and I both took knees and waited. I let him lead and it was a boomboom. He spined his, thankfully, and walked up and finished it with a head shot. I put mine through the pig and broke the off shoulder. Mine just lifted its leg. I shot it in the vitals twice more, and it hobbled off. I put one through the hams because that was all I could see in the weeds. He hobbled off, I put one in his neck, he hobbled off. Finally he laid down, I got two cartridges from my son and the guide and I went after it. We got up to it and it jumped up and ran, I took a Texas Heart shot and that was it. Every single shot except the ham would have put it down if the bullet expanded. 165gr Nos Partitions punch holes through anything other than bone. When the guide gutted it, the 30 cal holes were there. The sons spine shot, was a hole through the spine, not a complete bone crusher by any means. I am sticking to Gamekings.

All in all, I had a good time and so did the kids. The place was ok, only downside was the accommodations are probably used for a harder drinking crew that we were. There were some odors in the room that the son and I were in Fri night. However every other room smelled OK, and the kitchen was good and it has two working bathrooms with showers. We were the only ones in the lodge so we switched Sat and Sun and took a different room. It was about a grand each for the trip with tip, I rented a minivan and we had the pigs processed on site. I made lasagna and we brought burgers for Fri and Sat, Sun I told the kids they could take me out for Dads day.

Particulars...
Buddy shooting a mil 03 moved into a sporter stock with a no drill scope mount. 165 GK over 54.4 IMR 4350
Daughter a Wally World Rem 700ADL 165gr Partition over 54 IMR 4350
Son, my 03A4 w/original Weaver 330, same cartridge
Me, my mannlicher that up until Sun I had NEVER worked the action on to take a animal, same cartridge

If I do it again, and I might in 2 years, I am taking the 32spl open sights, and/or the Garand with GK's.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great story!
I went hog hunting for the first time this past May. My friends go every year but this was the first time I went. Already looking forward to next year, did not realize how much fun it is. Working on a better night hunting set up for the up coming year.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Pigs are tough. I have a hard time believing 6 out of 6 partitions didn't expand. Maybe 1 fluke somehow out of 6 I could believe. But not all of them. I don't think you would have any different results with another bullet. Shot placement may possibly have played a role as well. Partitions are designed to violently expand, shed the front half, and the shank stays intact and keeps on penetrating. At any rate, glad you had a good trip with the family, sounds fun!

·
Premium Member
24,184 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Borden811 said:
Pigs are tough. I have a hard time believing 6 out of 6 partitions didn't expand. Maybe 1 fluke somehow out of 6 I could believe. But not all of them. I don't think you would have any different results with another bullet. Shot placement may possibly have played a role as well. Partitions are designed to violently expand, shed the front half, and the shank stays intact and keeps on penetrating. At any rate, glad you had a good trip with the family, sounds fun!
Actually it was 7 out of 9. The son spined his without expansion and it dropped then he finished it in the head where it expanded from 3 feet. The daughter hit right on the shoulder at about 12 yards and the heart was decimated. That bullet was recovered and the mushroom was no more than 40 cal.
As to shot placement, when the guide opened the pig up, 3 were through the vitals (the holes were clear to see in the lungs) with one breaking the offhand shoulder, 1 was fwd of the hams, one was in the neck, and the last was a Texas heart shot. The ham, neck and Texas all came after the other three because he was moving through brush. One tail section of one bullet was found and I am guessing that it was the one that took the shoulder. I am more than willing to put me and that rifle against anyone tossing lead in a target. In the thirty years I have owned it I have never needed to take a second shot with it on a game animal.
My buddy was using gamekings and they worked as advertised. The hole it put in his pig put it down right now and by the time we got to it it was almost bled out.

Bottom line is this. I have always loaded my own, and I have always done deertopsy's. I know what my bullets do. You can use partitions if you want to, I wont unless its brown bear or better. If you were closer I would give you a deal on the partitions that are left.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RonM said:
Why the blanks across the face, are these guys wanted...
On the pigs to, used the pics in another forum where its a running joke

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimsdad said:
Sounds like exciting fun. I'm going to look into this place. Thanks for passing it on.
Think slow and heavy, like a 170 in a 30-30 or 32spl, or a good cup and core bullet in something 25 or better. Practice offhand with open sights snap shooting at 50 yards. The son and I were in the best shape for scopes. I had a Leupold 1.75-6 with a Ger #1 reticle on 1.75 and he had a fixed 2.5 weaver. If I go again, I will have opens.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Looks like fun. I hog hunt every year in Georgia with dogs, it is addicting.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Sounds like it was a hoot! Congrats on the pork!

Didn't notice the blank out on the pigs till you pointed it out... hilarious!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts