The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I though i would check around to see if anyone can help me out before i tried to grow these.I'm not sure if they will do good in Southwest Pa.The search that i did,said that they are a mainly a southern state potatoe.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've been growing them for years in central Pa. My stepdad grew them when I was growing up. We love the yellow ones. Not as strong as the orange ones, but more flavor then the white ones. I just put toothpicks in 3, and put them in water on the windowsill.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I grew them in Indiana Co,and they did real well,I got the tubulars/plants from Park seed co.Better order now and they will send at the right time with instruction.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information,looks like i'll be growing sweet potatoes this year.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I make up my hills ahead of time so they can warm up. I rake up on both sides to make nice hill down thru the garden. Then I open the middle of the hill with my hoe. I fill the inside with compost dirt, and fertilizer then close it back up. I flatten the top of the hill, then run 3ft. wide black landscape fabric down the length of it. I bury the edges along the bottom of the hill. Then I cut a hole every 12" and drop a slip in. I make a depression around each one so I can water them.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
My Buddy's brother grows sweet potatoes outside Harrisburg...

He starts his like you do Tree Mouse...
He doesn't plant his in hills, he shreads news paper, puts the shoots down on top of the ground and then covers them with some shreadded news paper and Straw....they grow prety good for him and when he goes to harvest them, all he does is lift the straw up and pick up the sweet potatoes!
no digging for his 75 year old back!

I've tried for 2 years to grow them.....they started out Really Good...then along comes Mr. and Mrs Rabbits, Mr. and Mrs. Deer and ate them all up.....
Like the Dang ***** in the sweet corn field!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Woody, I've read about the paper & straw. I also read it can attract voles. I covered the hills with 4 mil black plastic one year. The voles and chipmunks got underneath and had a field day with my potatoes. Now, I just buy the cheap landscape fabric at Ollies. Fencing keeps the deer out, and traps, bow, etc. take care of the hogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts