The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Ive had a busy week at work. I was off yesterday and was watching the weather...cool, 35, with a NW wind here in NE Ohio. Perfect weather for an afternoon bowhunt. Archery season is still open in Ohio, our season is 4 months long. With the NW wind, i decided to hunt a ladder stand I haven't hunted all season. Ive hunted the other edge of this large field last week, had 6 longbeards pass by my stand and a doe and her fawn. The other end of the field boarders much denser woods, perfect bedding area. I can't hunt this until I get a NW or N wind though. Yesterday was that day. Things were pretty slow at first, as the afternoon progressed, activity was starting. At 4:20pm this decent 7pt. comes into the field and coming my way. My time is limited, so i decided to take him. At 40yds, I give an "eeeaach" and he stops in his tracks. Ive never shot at a deer this far, I know many members do. They obviously have better eyes than I do.....lol. I settle the crossbow scope just behind the front shoulder,
"WHACK"...the bolt hits where i was aiming, and as the deer takes off running, the bolt is stuck 6" in the ground behind him.:grin2:. This buck takes off in a dead run to the neighboring property, runs into this weedy field, stops by a small tree and collapses. this buck easily ran 160/170 yds with a double lung shot. Fortunately with my ladder stand I had a height advantage, and I saw him crash. Not the largest buck in Ohio, but good enough for me...

P.S....I almost forgot, this is the 4th deer I've harvested this year with the same bolt...see: initial post..SWEET NOVEMBER..i took an 8pt and 2 doe in Pa a few weeks back. I inspected after each shot, washed off, and just replaced the Rage Broadhead. Even the Nockout Contender lighted nock is still working....lol. I have been truly blessed this year. Just wanted to share my story.:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all. If you look under the :General Hunting Forum...Heaviest deer you have taken....go to last page and see the tank I shot in archery her in Ohio in 2016....My largest Whitetail ever.....

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Congrats, Bud! Sounds like you are having a great time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts