The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I finally took the plunge and just bought a tight little 16 gauge Lefever Nitro Special double trigger side by side shotgun with 28 inch barrels choked full and modified. The shotgun, has mirror smooth bores and is mechanically sound. All numbers are matching. The wood has no cracks or splits. It has wear where an old shotgun should show wear but neglect is absent. There is a trace of case hardening.

The stock does need refinishing but it's going to be a long winter and that project will help me to pass the time. I have done stocks before on rifles but do have a question.
What do you feel is the best method to keep the finish from building up in the checkering? Thankfully this gun has little to deal with.
Also am wondering about using modern ammo in this one and comments on that are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Griz

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Tape the checkering off or follow the checkering with a stiff toothbrush to remove buildup while the finish is still wet.

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. Got a lot of good info on 16ga.com also, appreciate the heads up on that too.
Finishing that stock over the winter is definitely going to be a "labor of love". I have a thing for old shotguns.

Griz

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Got basically the same gun for the last 15 years or so. Love it - one of my favorite late season guns. Fits me pretty good too. Enjoy the old girl!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts