The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 pound dandelion greens,1/2 pound sliced bacon, 1/3 cup sugar,2 tablespoon flour , 1 teaspoon salt,1/ teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup vinegar , 1 egg. Thoroughly wash greens and tear in half. set aside. In a skillet saute bacon until crisp, reserve 4 tablespoons bacon drippings, and drain on paper towels. Put drippings into medium sauce pan . Stir in sugar , flour , salt and pepper. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup of water and vinegar Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and comes to boil. In a small bowl with a wire whisk or fork beat egg well. Gradually bat in some of the hot mixture , return to the rest of the mixture in saucepan . Bring to boil stirring constantly.. Boil gently for 4 minutes . Break crisp bacon into bite sized pieces . Add with dandelion greens to boiling mixture. Stir several times or until greens are slightly wilted. Serve immediately . Makes 4 servings.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We used to have dandelion with hot bacon dressing every Easter with Easter dinner. However my mother would pour the hot dressing over the dandelion and jo wilt it down just before serving.. We had a grass field next to a large oak and maple woods close to home and every year the day before Easter my dad and I and maybe a brother would go there and take a lawn rake along. We would rake the leaves off the grass and cut the dandelion that was under the leaves. It wasn't as dark green as the full sun dandelion and was not as bitter.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom and grandmothers on both sides of my family did the same thing for Easter. But my grandparents bought at a local market house in Sunbury.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts