The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many waterfowlers would support an effort to get swan tags on the table? Is it a potential reality or would it likely be a futile attempt to get something going?

I've always seen tundra swans around, but even though I'm hunting less compared to previos years, I'm seeing more than ever. I just don't think a few states should get all the fun.

What do you think? I know they're not the most important bird on many guy's lists, but why wouldn't you support it?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, One a season. Sold OTC would be how I'd like to see it done. Just get your swan tag for an extra 10 bucks, just like buying a archery tag. Instant revenue for the PGC.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I never did understand why we don't get a crack at them? Other states do.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good luck to ya, but in a yuppie state where invasive Mute swans being shot makes the newspaper... I think it's a pipe dream

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know about mutes making the paper.

I commented on the Presque Isle FB page a few months back when they posted up pics of tundras about tags and wanting to shoot one, people did flip... but, anti's flip over everything from leg hold traps to logging, so what makes this any different? I don't think they could come up with any real and sound reasons to dispute the idea that hunting couldn't be supported by the species.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it was what 1916 when swan hunting was in pa.I could see one year trying it,by a lottery system.I read somewhere the areas that hold swans,friends with animals org.,bird watchers,bed and breakfasts,they want swans protected(tundra swans).

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the Swan seasons inception, states needed to prove they Wintered a minimal percentage of the population to qualify for a season. At the time, North Carolina and Virginia were the only qualified states that moved forward with a season, with North Carolina being awarded more tags because their Wintering population was far greater than any other state. Any state wishing to pursue a season would have to determine what percentage of the population was Wintering there and apply for that allotment of tags, it would not be additional tags and would need to come out the current number....I think...haha.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They admit in that article that the PGC could change the laws without much to do about it. I'm also sure we could get more voices together than the bed and breakfast crowd could.

The admission of using anti hunting propaganda and distributing it to schools is amazing and disgusting. Trying to sway kids with everything from global warming to swans is garbage.

Mutes came off the list, nobody cried too loudly and that went over decently.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using the idea they need to winter here seems crazy.... teal don't winter here, we shoot them?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was told years ago by a gentleman who was "in the know" regarding this that Pa had/has been authorized tags by the USFWS for years. When I asked why we don't have a season, the answer was right in line with Frank DeGamma's answer. I was told there wold be too much public outcry by the huggers and drain on the PGC in the courts would not be worth it from a $$ standpoint.

To which I replied, "Wait a minute, there was a TON of outcry when the PGC instituted the elk hunt in Pa. and it still went forward". Explain that. No answer.

I got to spend some time with Dr. Scott Petrie years ago at a DU convention. He is a biologist working on Long Point at the time and the guts of his research at the time surrounded Tundra Swans. At that time, he told me the population was growing and could support a limited hunt in virtually every state on the flyway where these birds winter or pass through.

At a time when the PGC is looking for more revenue, it would seem that running a program like North Carolina does where you send in $10.00 bucks to be drawn if lucky would be easy cash. If you don't get drawn in NC, you lose (donate is probably a better word) the $10.00. The program could be instituted for some printing and postage costs for the most part.

Chuck

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There will never be one tag per hunter. In states where it is legal to hunt swans the feds tell them how many tags they may issue and it is a lottery.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Talor, PA is an important wintering and resting area for swans. In fact there are as we speak farms being put under agreement to allow the swans to use the land. Jim Binder at Middlecreek can explain what the program is. The fact that PA is an important area for swans is not what prevents us from having a season at this point in thime since the harvest is controlled by the number of tags allowed by Feds to the state. PA was offered a season by the Feds a long time ago and the poster who said the PGC did not want the court fights and legislative problems that would go with that. Johns Hopkins had a research group in the state following the birds and between them andbirders and bunny huggers they didn't think it was worth the fight. I think the number of tags at that time was 200 or 250. We have gone through many commissioners since then perhaps the attitude has change .

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't view files like that from my phone easily, c an you give me the summary?

Thanks for the info, John. I can't tell from your reply if you would support a hunt or not.

I should have clarified, not one tag per hunter, a hunter could only possibly secure one. Nobody gets two.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts