The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any and do the deer like them?

Found a couple dozen along a creek on my property. Most are pretty young with a couple of mature trees mixed in. Always thought they were white oak until I was marking trees for TSI(timber stand improvement) and habitat improvement.

Also didn't think they grew in the NW part of Pa.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I have planted swamp white oak from the conservation district, but never swamp chestnut oak.

Got a pic? Love to see this tree.

Does it have that shaggy bark of young (5-6" wide ) white oak?

I have a good mix of trees in my creekbottom. I'd love to inventory them and know what i got, but when i had the forester up he zipped thru there in about 4 minutes and did not give me much info.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have started some chestnut oak but can't tell you if it is swamp oak or not, But I can tell you that the nuts came from a pretty swampy place in 2G.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Are you referring to Quercus michauxii? Commonly known as swamp chestnut oak or basket oak...

If so, it is not found as a native tree in any areas but perhaps the far south eastern part of PA. Native Range

Swamp white oak is very similar and is found in NW PA as a native. That may be what you are finding or you may have some Chestnut(rock) oak that happened to find a home in a wetter area than normal...

As far as whether the deer like them, it may be a mute point as I don't think it is the tree you are finding, but my father has several including a VERY large one, 6' DBH tree on his land in Northumberland County VA. The acorns are similar to chestnut(rock) and since it is in the white oak family, the deer love the acorns. They are usually quite large so the turkeys don't seem to be able to swallow them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have some chestnut oaks on my property that are mixed in with white and red oaks. Yes the deer do like and eat them, I have (2) two in my back yard and the nuts are a lot bigger than the red or white and when they start falling the deer are right there cleaning then up.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rooster, I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I'm almost positive these can't be Chestnut oak due to the bark(whitish and scaly, not deep grooved like Chestnut oak) and the location which is very wet soil along a creek.

From the leaves, the only possible trees these could be are Chinkapin, English or Swamp Chestnut Oak.

I'll get some pics tomorrow as I'll be doing some TSI/habitat improvement in that area.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I'd be interested... I have not heard of swamp chestnut oak in the wild in that area nor of it naturalizing. Perhaps a isolated pocket. Swamp white oak can look a lot like it though.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
My vote would be swamp white. W/O an acorn, the best way to tell is if the bark is shedding on 2nd year and earlier branches. And swamp whites generally have a white tint and velvety feel to the undersides of the leafs. They don't call them quercus bicolor for nothing. If you have any acorns you can further eliminate other possibilities.

·
Registered
631 Posts
THAT is a swamp. leaves are short, fatter at the end, and large serrations.

i true chestnut oak has long slender leaves, small serrations and tapers pretty uniformly. acorns are the second largest of the oak species, drop usually drop earlier htan most other oaks. deer absolutley love them, the tree favors higher alltitiudes, ussually grow at or above 1400 ft. but i have found them wild at about 1250 ft. mostly on rocky soil, i jsut check a few acorns i got off my dad's tree this year that i threw down an my driveway, they are all starting to sprout, so prob. tomorrow i''ll get them into pots.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,...I guess I either have Swamp Chestnut Oak whose acorns the deer love or Swamp White Oak whose acorns the deer love.

lol

Gotta love it when you get lucky.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked to a forester who is familiar with my property and he said they are Swamp White Oak. He also said there were a couple Burr Oaks(said watch my head, big acorns).

I'm going to cut every Elm and Ash tree down in the flats to help these Oaks regenerate and to provide wildlife cover.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Bur Oak sure should have some big acorns... Biggest acorns on a native North American oak tree.

Get the money from the ash while you can... Won't be long before they're all dead anyways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts