The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 archery season concluded on Friday marking the end of my 42nd bow season. This season was not without challenge. Initially I undertook the task of hunting a huge public swamp in addition to some private property along its border.

Unfortunately (for me) the private property changed hands in the off season. Not only did I lose my access point to the swamp, I also lost several pre-hung treestands when the property was timbered just a week before the archery opener. This set me back a few weeks but I was eventually able to secure another access route, adjust to the changes after the logging, and slip in to hang a few stands by mid season.

I ended up doing 10 sets this year with bow in hand and saw a total of 70 doe and 36 bucks. This buck got past me at 20 yards the day prior to his demise. Apparently the steady early morning drizzle had me mesmerized (or half asleep) because he was just THERE and through my shooting area before I had time to react. I was devastated. Like a ghost he melted into the swamp grass and disappeared.

This season also marked two personal milestones for me. I'd set a goal not to shoot a main frame 8 this year unless it was a tremendous specimen. On November 2nd I passed an 8 point that would've surpassed my personal 125” minimum mark. I had mixed emotions about it but two days later I was glad I did because I witnessed a doe being bred not once but twice, at a mere 10 yards (see Interesting Observation thread) and that truly was a highlight, and something that I've never witnessed before.

It took several hours to extract the buck from the swamp. He ended up being an 11 point (main frame 10) and weighed in at exactly 190 field dressed. This is how I found him piled up. Anyway just wanted to thank everybody on HPA for their tips & advice and for enduring my meanderings, opinions and pictures. Thanks for looking. Shoot straight---->

Attachments

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Great buck. Congrats!

Reactions: TBrom

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is a hog, congrats.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. I've already convinced myself that even if the next world record is spotted in that swamp he can stay there. I'm going back to hunting the small farmland areas. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Very nice deer, you earned it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts