The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all,
I reside in WMU 2C and have formed quite a stout bear gang over the past 6 years.

We hunt in 2C all bear season but aren't privy the high end private land where the bear live around here. We are stuck with over hunted public land, very little private, and even less corn fields. Rival bear gangs hold most of the good property.
Additionally, Westmoreland only kills about 25 bear a year so the odds are against us from the get go.

We scout for about 2 months prior to the season and always have a few handfuls of bears picked out. We set our sights on those locations and hunt them hard but many are killed during archery and muzzleloader so we are unknowingly left hunting ghosts.

We pound the thickest, nastiest stuff, and/or feed all season and don't see squat other than some old poop or the occasional track.
We normally don't have a November snow so that doesn't help.

After 6 years of sun up to sun down, driving every day of the season and only taking 1 bear, we are looking for better options than what 2C has to offer.

I wanted to get a head start this year looking for a Northern PA bear gang that has room for some more guys. Camp or not.
Our crew has been whittled down to about 16 strong from the 25 we use to have due to safety, or other concerns. All are good, safety conscious, dependable guys but I doubt all would go North.
We plan to hunt the ML season around 2C but want to head North for the rifle season for a better opportunity.

If you have an opening for a small group of us to join up, message me.
We are VERY willing to help scout!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Did you try contacting the Pocono bear gang when they have there usual thread. Can`t remember the name of the gentleman`s name but if you go back thru the bear and elk forum you might be able to find it. hope this helps. I know each year they are always looking for guys . good luck.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Gotta pm Jayden, I’ve hunted 3 years with this gang. All public, but the bears are there!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to a guy from the PBG. Too far east for us to make that trip. 5 hr drive

Any other options out there?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The Sabinsviille area is a good spot . Has a large State Game Land section . Also you could do some scouting and seek permission to hunt private land as well. A neighboring camp use to hunt there and had success.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I hunt solo mostly now a days, so cant help you with getting with a group of guys. With a group of 16 guys I would think that you should already have plenty of people.
Sounds to me like you guys need some places to start scouting/hunting. Which counties are you guys considering?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Somerset/ Bedford or north central where the numbers/ odds are better.
2C kills about 25 a year lately. That's a lot of competition!

·
Registered
908 Posts
how far north are you looking to go for bear season. Wyoming Bradford and Sullivan counties in northeast pa are good areas to hunt. Not sure if you want to go that far.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
One in our group has a camper that will sleep 6.
We are mobile and willing to put in the work. Nothing in Muzzleloader for us.

Still seeking a northern group to hook up with.
NW and central pa are where we are looking.
We are willing to help scout.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For SW Pa guys your best bet is to look into Mckean, Warren and Potter plenty of bear in those parts.

I used to live in Mckean but would drive home to hunt 2C with the gang I hunt with.

Always felt dumb because I knew plenty of guys from work that would kill them solo hunting the National Forest. I could send you a few pin drops of clear cuts that I scoured outside of Bradford Pa that looked amazing and I tracked a few bears in but there will be other groups out and about.

The group I hunt with drives 2C Cambria and some Somerset we usually kill 1 to 3 a year. I sometimes feel your pain though lot of work for little success. Kill quite a few bear as a group but I have been at it 15 years with only one sighting personally. Maybe this year though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts