The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the Main Stem this weekend the Son and I.
Will post a report. River level is up a bit but I'll be able to Zip around with the gas motor.
Lookout Smallies.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fished half day Friday and most of the day Saturday until forced off the water with heavy storms.
Caught over well 50 Smallies, biggest was an 18" pig along with several 15 and 16" football fat bass.
The Susqy is coming back, just hope the PF & BC keep the no harvest going.
No need to Eat those Beautiful Smallmouths.
CPR- catch. photo and release.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Potter county joe, did you ever fish the susqy by sinnemahoning sportsman club, or any where along that stretch. I fished it last august and we slammed the smallies on rubber worms. People had told me that the part of the river was dead. Well i am hear to tell you we did very well with the smallmouth. Most of them were 11 to 13 inches we did catch one about 16 inches. Nothing fights like a smallmouth ( besides musky). We are goinh to hit the susqy down by bush dam entrance off of 120 next weekend. In years passed we fished under the gold star mothers bridge and that part of the susqy has no water in it. There was some deep holes sporatically but they held noish. We did not catch a thing down on the end of the west branch of the susqy.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume your mean the Driftwood Branch, fished it years ago.
Sending you a PM soon.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My oldest son and I fished the main river above Harrisburg for the first time last week. He picked up his personal best SM at 19"+, I put a 18" in the boat and we each had a few between 12"-15". He was using a nose hooked 4" Case SSS minnow and I was fishing a nose hooked Keitech 4" swing shad. There was only one other boat on the river that I could see. There were a few spots that I grounded the boat and I was amazed at the amount of crayfish I seen while walking in the shallow water.

The river is incredible and I wish I could get there more often. I totally agree that the PFBC should keep a no kill in effect. Honestly I did not know such rule was in effect because we release everything anyway.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes I heard they call that part of the water the driftwood branch of sinnemahoning. I have always call it the West branch of susqy. I guy had told me it does not turn into the river until it gets down around renovo.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Yes I heard they call that part of the water the driftwood branch of sinnemahoning. I have always call it the West branch of susqy. I guy had told me it does not turn into the river until it gets down around renovo.
There are maps available online.

The Driftwood Branch of the Sinnemahoning meets the Bennett Branch of the Sinnemahoning, forming Sinnemahoning Creek, which runs into the West Branch Susquehanna at Keating.

The West Branch Susquehanna originates many miles up above Clearfield, in Cambria County.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My oldest son and I fished the main river above Harrisburg for the first time last week. He picked up his personal best SM at 19"+, I put a 18" in the boat and we each had a few between 12"-15". He was using a nose hooked 4" Case SSS minnow and I was fishing a nose hooked Keitech 4" swing shad. There was only one other boat on the river that I could see. There were a few spots that I grounded the boat and I was amazed at the amount of crayfish I seen while walking in the shallow water.

The river is incredible and I wish I could get there more often. I totally agree that the PFBC should keep a no kill in effect. Honestly I did not know such rule was in effect because we release everything anyway.

Good luck, Tony
I mainly fish the Susqy from Liverpool down to Duncannon and yes the River is rebounding just fine.
My buddy all he fishes is pretty much the Case Sinking Salty Shad and do well on them myself.
But my number 1 go to are Tubes.
Supposed to head out to fish the River next weekend with my son but it's not looking
good, the River is going to be cresting over flood stage by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Everything dumping into the Susky is chocolate milk. They had to shut down the beach area at Pinchot, its under water. They expect another 1"-3" through tonight yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,001 Posts
I haven’t been there in years. My jonboat and jet outboard are meant for that river. We used to fish a ton right above the Dauphin Narrows.

So the fish are back?

I better service that boat and get it ready... I miss smallie fishing!

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven’t been there in years. My jonboat and jet outboard are meant for that river. We used to fish a ton right above the Dauphin Narrows.

So the fish are back?

I better service that boat and get it ready... I miss smallie fishing!
Yes they are back in numbers and size.
One of the reasons the PF & BC proposed to drop the current restrictions on parts of the Susqy and Juniata
Next year.

·
Super Moderator
8,001 Posts
I haven't run my boat in a dog's age, but it's time then.

Not sure it'll be something I can get away with this summer anymore, but dang it, I'll be back there in the spring.

Man, some of my best memories up to my early 30's were of 100+ fish days up there right north of the narrows. Put in at Fort Hunter and went up through the narrows and then fished form the top of the narrows up to Duncannon.

Channel cats were fun at night too, but the drive home sucked.

Is the campground still there up at Duncannon? We used to camp on islands until we were told that was a no-no.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Riverfront Campground is still there.
ZZ Top John I call him.
I have them shuttle my truck when I do floats.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
They were better about 8 years ago but we used the water on the campsite to fill on our cassette toilet ended up being filled with mayflies.
The campground is under water now and that's BAD. Have been looking forward to getting back there great place to float trip.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have they ever cleaned the bathrooms?

A buddy and I fished the river one weekend and camped there, and the bathrooms were BAD.

That was about 15 - 20 years ago. Hopefully someone got around to cleaning them since then.
Probably worse:jestera: I've never camped there, would pull out there at the end of many a float
and have stopped then to relieve myself and yes they are bad.
I would pull my T shirt up over my nose when I used the bathroom.
What a shame it's such a great location.
Actually inquired about a seasonal sight there years ago for my camper but they were full. Thank God .

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Finally got on the rive tonight instead of archery huntng and picked up a few fish.Acouple nice ones at that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fished half day Friday and most of the day Saturday until forced off the water with heavy storms.
Caught over well 50 Smallies, biggest was an 18" pig along with several 15 and 16" football fat bass.
The Susqy is coming back, just hope the PF & BC keep the no harvest going.
No need to Eat those Beautiful Smallmouths.
CPR- catch. photo and release.
I keep every bass that is legal on the Lehigh River! I fillet them out, put a little cornmeal on them..and fry them up! Now you got my mouth watering!

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I keep every bass that is legal on the Lehigh River! I fillet them out, put a little cornmeal on them..and fry them up! Now you got my mouth watering!
To each his own, but don't want to hear any Crying when the resource dries up.
Eat the Panfish, they are more plentiful.:surprise2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts