The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'll be staying in the Hershey area for 3 weeks beginning at the end of July for a work related training class. I'll have the ability to haul my kayak and fishing gear out with me.

Can anyone recommend a place on the susky where I may be able to drive to each afternoon after class, launch the yak, and paddle around and fish? Drifting downstream very far will probably not be much of an option due to having to be picked up etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
974 Posts
No expert advise here - for sure...

But if I was solo - with a yak - I would launch anywhere I could and paddle upstream about a mile - then float back down to where I launched.

Nascar Style - right turns allowed !!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does and I have looked at them, but it doesn't show water conditions, IE, swiftness etc.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Try this...
http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/apps/susquehanna/

I found it posted on another site, haven't really looked into it much, just glanced at it, seems to show all launches public + private.

Personally I would look at Fort Hunter - bass(up river area), Falmouth - anything(up river+across to York Haven PP outflow. You can also drive across and launch over there-bonus explore the creek that dumps in there), Middletown(you might run into a lot of traffic here but you can paddle up the Swatara Creek). Also closer to Hershey Check out the Swatara River trails map.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Park at Bruner Island soccer fields and launch across road onto Conewago Creek (York Haven). Float it 1.5 miles north where it dumps into Susquehanna. Float back down to vehicle. Continue in front of Bruner Island plant and fish. Easy paddle back upstream. Nice path to get back to car when done. Lots of fish of all varieties!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fort Hunter is pretty low right now and might be tough getting upstream. City island is a nice slow pool with good fishing. Just stay away from the dam in the kayak.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made it to Ft. Hunter last night. Had a ball. With the temp being 90, I decided a swim was in order. Lol. Paddle up steam and took a dip for awhile. Continued up to the Statue of Liberty and started fishing. Caught 15 or so smallies, largest being maybe 2.25 lbs and maybe 16 inches. Used thr exact things I do on the allegheny. Popper. Fluke. Jig. Susky smallies like them also.
I'll be back there tonight.
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I fish that area quite often, however i put in across the river in Marysville and paddle up, may possibly be there tonight depending how work goes. Some really good spots up there, and some super deep holes near the rocks below statue. Last i was there was last Tuesday, fishing was slow because there was all kinds of algae and weeds floating down river, as soon as i started my retrieve my bait was covered in snot. Didn't have so much as a hit until i switched to topwater, picked up 6-7 nothing over 15in. I like to fish jigs in those deep cuts near the rocks where current runs through, can pick up some nice bass, big cats and the occasional walleye. Good luck to ya

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I haven't fished the Statue area in a few years .. used to be incredible. May try it in a kayak, that would be fun. My go to bait is a big salty tube in black with red flake... looks like stone cat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fished the Marysville area for many years and always did well on smallies. Quit fishing there 5-6 yrs ago because I heard all these "doom & gloom" stories about water quality issues with the Susky. I'm from Meadville area and it's a long haul for me to Harrisburgh/Marysville...Should I be going back??? Is the smallie fishin still good in that area or has the water quality diminished the fishing ??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rich R. said:
I fished the Marysville area for many years and always did well on smallies. Quit fishing there 5-6 yrs ago because I heard all these "doom & gloom" stories about water quality issues with the Susky. I'm from Meadville area and it's a long haul for me to Harrisburgh/Marysville...Should I be going back??? Is the smallie fishin still good in that area or has the water quality diminished the fishing ??
Rich, I fish mainly Duncannon-Marysville, sometimes down to West Fairview. 5-6 years ago the fishing was not very good at all, but the last 2 years it has been very good, lots of fish and a lot of really nice ones too. In my opinion yes, it is worth the drive, it has rebounded very well.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
If you don't mind a 20 minute drive I'd put in at Columbia boat ramp. Brand new park with a special launch just for kayaks and canoes. Easy paddle up stream a few hundred yards to some nice rocks that hold plenty of bass or you can paddle straight out from the ramp and fish the bridge piers and old islands from the railroad bridge. Plenty deep for a kayak too. If you paddle the whole way across the river you can even pull out for dinner as John Wright restaurant sits right on the bank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just adding some input to the kayak fishing on the susky, fished it for the first time last year and it was spotty best fishing was in the evening for us. We fishing just below the inflatable dam. Can anyone tell me if the fishing is better more south? Harrisburg. Doing a family vacation out that way and son and I will be doing some fishing. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A lot of guys fish out of Fort Hunter. I just did a float from Bainbridge to Marietta with my B.I.L. last Saturday and we did pretty good.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been out 5-6 times this far, and frankly, the fishing has been stellar. Had one of two slower days when the water came up, and got some color from rainstorms, but all in all my off time out there has been nothing short of awesome. One more week to go there so I'll have some more time to fish.
Best for me has been topwater poppers, tubes, brown jig, super fluke. All of those caught fish.
I had one night, for whatever reason, the big ones bit well. I easily had 3 fish over 3 lbs and one bumping 4 lbs. They were on a popper that night in very shallow water so that was an absolutely incredible night.
I also was able to get out in a friends boat one evening and one more evening is planned for this week. We launched out of City Island and fished that area. We may hit Steelton next week.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Top water in the shallows, doesnt get much better than that. I floated the Juniata to the Susky on a really hot day in mid afternoon last weekend. Caught plenty and it was awesome.. was happy to catch little ones, the ones missing in years past. Some lunkers too... all on tubes or senko in black, red flake. Lots of eel grass stretches... wished I had a spinner bait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts