The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is 9 and loves all the survival shows so for Christmas I got him a flint and steel kit. He brought it to camp and after making some char cloth in the wood burner, he set out to make a fire. It was a little trial and error at first, getting the right tinder bundle, etc but he ended up getting a fire started.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Man thats really cool! Glad to hear he is interested in that stuff.......WAY WAY better than some darn game controller!! Great Job WeeMan!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Excellent teaching Buckethead
. I tried the same thing with my daughter ( 9 yrs. old ) . We used the cottonball & Vasoline tinder trick . After 10 minutes of striking the cotton flamed up . She then dumped her entire bunch of leaves & pine needles directly on the flame ..... POOF out it went ....
. OK , time for a little more instruction .....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Kids who build fires out side. Not put match to gas but actually build a fire don't play with fire in house. My son totally burnt up the metal lid to my trash can for garage building fire in driveway. Atr send me P.M. I have something that will spark his interest. Thanks

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Man thats really cool! Glad to hear he is interested in that stuff.......WAY WAY better than some darn game controller!!
game controller ? you mean a Game Warden ? Poor Mr. Game Warden.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
He probably would have started it easier if he has a fedora to use as kindling.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Now wee man can build a fire and make a spit and cook those 4 squirrels he got,he knows how to survive, good coaching , Buckethead.....

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
4x4dad said:
Excellent teaching Buckethead
. I tried the same thing with my daughter ( 9 yrs. old ) . We used the cottonball & Vasoline tinder trick . After 10 minutes of striking the cotton flamed up . She then dumped her entire bunch of leaves & pine needles directly on the flame ..... POOF out it went ....
. OK , time for a little more instruction .....
Second the 'get the kids out of in front of the video games" and into the game of life...

I also do the cotton balls with Vaseline but I add dryer lint that we collect off the dryer screen and that stays lit really nice. I will make up 3-4 set ups in small zip lock bags for a fishing trip and such and has not let us down yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts