The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is going to be survival school opening up near Clarion, Pa. I am not sure when but will get the details and post it. Sigma 3 survival school website is what you want to check out. The founder is from Arkansas. check it out.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is the mind set of people today. someone else will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Failure to prepare,is preparing to fail.That's the motto I have always used and any schooling to me falls in the Preparing category.I'll be looking into this,thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
Michaux Hunter said:
45 day course sounds interesting.
I was reading the details and under food and water, he mentioned "Walmart is only 10 min away" .

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
mossycamo said:
that is the mind set of people today. someone else will take care of you.
Part of basic survival is to use items around you and if that means you have a charged cell phone and reception then 911 would qualify. Next thing would be to stay put and make yourself comfortable and wait for help to arrive.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
A lot of Pa hunters don't need a survival course. When they only spend a couple hours in the woods, have a gallon of coffee, a dozen donuts and can see the tail lights on the back of their pick-up at all times.

Cell phones are helpful, but I agree if your lost sit tight, start a big fire for heat and something that can be spotted from the air.
Maybe not as manly story to tell but making that 911 call sure beats spending a couple days in the woods cold and hungry. Compass will tell me what direction Im heading but a GPS will show me what is near me.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ha, really getting too old to post survival or hunting posts. Survival has changed too much.
Had a neighbor who handled a winter power failure by checking into a motel out of the power failure area.

We have an area park surrounded by thousands. On a day under 40 degrees they'll be ten and maybe five people enjoying the cold weather.
"Normal" people just avoid cold weather these days, in this area. But then cold days in the area never got publisized. That's how the modern people handle the cold.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
When I worked for the US Gov I went through Survival School. We were dropped of in Fort Circle Park in the Anacostia section of Washington DC at 1:00 AM and had to make our way on foot back to Alexandria, VA without being stabbed, shot or otherwise. Lost some good people that night....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts