The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has most likely been asked over and over but i'm looking to pick up a survival rifle in 22 caliber,would prefer something in single shot and not semi.Could anyone recommend a decent one?

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
A nice little single shot shotgun might be handy, they break down easy and you can shoot a number of different shells and slugs.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I always liked the Savage Mark II FV-SR, suppressor ready would come in handy.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ol'Crow Good idea but was really looking for something that would break down and fit right into the existing stock of the gun and pack easily into a pack.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've had an M6 22/410 in my trunk for around 20 years I guess. I worked in Binghamton NY for 30 yrs and of course couldn't cross the border with a handgun. Wanted something legal I could keep in the trunk in a case and just "set it and forget it", no worries about rust. So it just permanently stays in the trunk.

I removed the trigger guard so it would fold tighter on itself.

You can also just push out the detent pin and separate the halves but I didn't want to do that in case I lose the pin over the years.

Ammo is carried in the stock.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
That's the gun I was thinking of.

If I had to rely on only one gun I would pick a shotgun without question. IMO a survival gun is not a hunting gun.

There are a bunch of different 22's that I really like. Most are either hunting or plinking guns. Something that braks down and fits in a pack would be the best bet. I surely wouldn't want to carry my Marlin around all the time.

If not breaking state lines I would carry a handgun personally. I use a Heritage Rough Rider 22 with a 6.5 inch barrel. If I feel I need more power I toss in the mag cylinder. I carry this gun while fishing, scouting or just going for walks in the woods. I would like a bit shorter barrel, but it works. That gun has an alloy frame and doesn't weigh very much anyway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quite some time ago there were a couple of companies that manufactured a "survival" rifle that -- at least among us kids in the late '50s and early '60s -- was rumored to be based on some Air Force weapon. The barrel detached and everything fit in the stock, which, If I recall correctly, also carried a waterproof canister with matches, tinder and a compass. Once everything was safely stored in the stock it was floatable and obviously waterproof. My oldest brother had one at some point. I don't know what ever became of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts