The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday's show Bear Grylls will be doing a "survival in the city" special. It will be interesting to see this because it is so different from his normal survival settings.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Thank you for the information Mike...Now for us folks unfamiliar with Bear Grylls, could you please say which channel it is on and maybe what time?...Thanks

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Sounds interesting . Nice new avatar by the way....Finn

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is on the Discovery channel, which is channel 278 on DirecTV Wednesday 9 pm. He is a survivalist (special forces) who teaches survival in the mountains, deserts, and jungles all over the world. He is doing tomorrows show on surviving the city during chaos and the collapse of order.

·
Registered
731 Posts
moosemike said:
Swift said:
Bear has the resume but is a fraud.

Not at all. The tactics he teaches are legit and will work.
LOL....It's all "shock" just for TV. Sure you could do what he does...but I sure wouldn't recommend it. Flip over to Les Stroud's show for pratical survival techniques. So sad he doesn't make Surviorman anymore.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Swift said:
Believe me...his resume is questionable as well.

I'll give him credit...his show can be entertaining and I have got a laugh or two outta his antics.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rugged Hunter said:
moosemike said:
Swift said:

Not at all. The tactics he teaches are legit and will work.
LOL....It's all "shock" just for TV. Sure you could do what he does...but I sure wouldn't recommend it. Flip over to Les Stroud's show for pratical survival techniques. So sad he doesn't make Surviorman anymore.

I love Les Stroud but he stinks at getting food. Dude almost starved on every show.

·
Registered
731 Posts
moosemike said:
I love Les Stroud but he stinks at getting food. Dude almost starved on every show.
It's realistic though. Les is actually searching for food in the wild...on his own....not eating critters stocked by the TV station and sheep nuts and drinking camel fluid. Finding food in a survival situation isn't easy. If Bear Grylls didn't go back to his hotel for a hot dinner, and fresh glazed donuts on the set behind the camera, he'd be starving too....

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rugged Hunter said:
moosemike said:
It's realistic though. Les is actually searching for food in the wild...on his own....not eating critters stocked by the TV station and sheep nuts and drinking camel fluid. Finding food in a survival situation isn't easy. If Bear Grylls didn't go back to his hotel for a hot dinner, and fresh glazed donuts on the set behind the camera, he'd be starving too....

Maybe you missed all the bugs and live fish/ snakes that he consumes in a show? The dude catches fish and just bites into them alive! I love it when he caught that Florida gator and wrestled it and then stuck the knife in behind it's head. How many times has he eaten local plants and fruits? He teaches you what to look for in every environment he films in.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Les Stroud is part bunny hugger anyway. Everytime he killed an animal he apologized and talked about how he only will take the life of an animal as a last resort. Grylls offers no apology, he knows how to live tooth, fang, and claw.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
moosemike said:
Maybe you missed all the bugs and live fish/ snakes that he consumes in a show? The dude catches fish and just bites into them alive! I love it when he caught that Florida gator and wrestled it and then stuck the knife in behind it's head. How many times has he eaten local plants and fruits? He teaches you what to look for in every environment he films in.
Mike, Bear did not learn ALL of that from his "Reserve" time in the SAS, (granted he did serve and hats off to him for that
) he is actually coached from folks like Ron Hood (Nam Vet and survivalist) who was doing that stuff way before Bear was a gleam in his father eye. Seriously, if ya wanna learn from the "Experts" check out some videos and books written by Ron.

Man vs. Wild is entertaining and I do watch it with my son. But I'm not gonna give him (Bear) too much credit, when it is a known fact that the majority of the stuff is planned and scripted.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Tracker, No, but I have known about Ron & Karen for quite some time. I enjoy reading Ron's works. Very educating. Maybe I should be Hoodlum?

Your good at writing stories and I always enjoy reading about the family trips to camp. Maybe you should submit an article to SQ Magazine?

Are you getting a subscription?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts