The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I planted about an acre of BioMass this spring. It's growing great. Recently disced up half of it to plant turnips and rape.

One thing about the BioMass that suprised me, was what the deer are actually hitting right now. They are completely ignoring the sorgumn/cowpeas, nipping at the beans, and destroying the sunflowers! I mean literally every sunflower is just a stalk with a flower on top. There are hardly any leaves left. Not sure of the nutritional value of the sunflowers, but they are def a great attractant. Next year, I'm going to make my own mix with just the beans/sunflowers. Leave out the cowpeas and sorgumn. This plot is in Southern Potter. Just a tip and possibly something for others to try, since the sunflowers grow fast, pretty easy to plant, and are cheap.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
My BiL has the exact opposite happening...they are eating the head of the sunflowers but nothing else. His fields are just a mix of plants from rpior plantings. Pretty cool to see the variety in there when you look in close.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Last year, I threw black oil sunflower seeds, along with some buckwheat, in my brassica plots. Put a cage up and guess what? The ONLY place I found any sunflowers was in the cage. Saw the same thing happen on a SGL in Wyoming County a few years back.

I remember John Rigas had a large field of sunflowers planted along rt 49 north of Coudy some years ago. That field drew in so many deer it was unreal. In the winter, it was loaded with deer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Oh yeah, I believe it. One of the farmers on Fox HIll had 7 acres of sunflowers last fall until the bears wiped it out. He didn't even bother to try to harvest it. He came to PGC meetings to complain about too many deer a few years back, hasn't shot a crop damage deer in 5 years, but the bears are becoming a huge problem.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I had sunflowers in that ugly plot a few years back and the deer didn't bother them much. They are pretty though.

Bears are becoming a problem for the problems around us too. They trapped 6 on the neighboring farm this spring and I'm still seeing a good number of tracks around. They hammered both farms corn last year and are way worse than the deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts