·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you have the federal permit.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with the proper permit they would be legal on a hunting rifle?

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
We had a few members show up at a club meeting last fall, to complain about another member using a "silencer" at our ranges.

Others on the BOD were upset, even after some of us mentioned that suppressors are perfectly legal, IF one has obtained the proper documents from the Feds.

Didn't matter, most wanted to ban them at club ranges, believing they are illegal. I pointed out that if more members owned them, our neighbors might be happier?

I believe the current federal "tax" fee is around $200 to legally own a suppressor?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any restrictions as to the type of firearms that they can be used on?

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
They are commonly used on both rifles and handguns. Don't have the criteria in front of me, but as far as I can recall, not many restrictions? Some states allow them for hunting use, some don't.

Many firearms now come with threaded barrel options, to readily-use suppressors.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does PA allow them for hunting use?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Poor Stogey!

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That'll cost ya a dollar John.

·
Registered
135 Posts
According to chris at advanced arms (class3 dealer) they are legal for hunting in pa. I have not verified this, though since he sells them at his shop in pittston, I imagine he'd know.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can't imagine any reason why they would be illegal to use for hunting. Unfortunately, in this country suppressors are often viewed as something only people up to no good have, and it makes no sense at all.

I think in Scotland if you are on a guided hunt you have to use a suppressor on your rifle. I could be wrong, though.

Pretty much all you have to do to get one is pay for the $200 tax stamp to legally own one.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have shot suppressed rifles and handguns when I
was in the USArmy and they are not as quiet as the
movies make them out to be.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scorpion, pretty sure you are correct about the Scotland thing. Was watching a show on the Discovery channel the other night about a guy hunting in Scotland and he used a suppressed rifle. Thats what made me think about it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
They can be purchased with a little extra paperwork in most states (PA being one that allows them). You'll need to have your local Chief Law Enforcement sign off unless you buy as a trust or a coroporation. Some CLEO's may not sign off. It is wise to check before staring the process. If they won't sign, you can form a trust and circumvent the need for their approval. On a hunting rifle with high velocity ammo, they do reduce the noise and muzzle blast from the shooter's perspective. There will still a loud crack as the bullet goes supersonic downrange. You can use subsonic ammo, but that obviously limits the range and killing power. For subsonic hunting, something like a 44 mag rifle or 458 SOCOM is often used since you can shoot very heavy bullets that will give you sufficient killing power even when subsonic. Even subsonic, most supressed rifles and handguns sound like a air nailer. The stuff you see in the movies is pure Hollywood fantasy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stogey,

They are not required in scotland and England, but most hunters use them. You can safely shoot without ear protection when you're using a moderator (as they are called over here). The bark of a big gun turns into a crack like a high velocity 22. Subsonics are basically whisper quiet. I have one on my 22 and also shoot it on my 17 hornet. If I move back to PA, I will have one for my guns. If I'm stuck in NY or NJ, then I'm stuck without one as neither state permits them.

Thanks
Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts