The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
i use chain link fence tie wire, you can buy it in rolls and make supports. i dont dye or de scent, i just cut off a section and make one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just use a stick no need to carry that heavy roll of wire and cutters with you lol. i just got my C-R class done about a month ago. i take one rebar stake with me and jam it in the ground then just put a cut stick in where i pull the rebar stake out. i make a slit in the top of the branch and run my cable thru it... looks natural. hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Trapped, do you have any pics of your setup?? Have you made many catches using that setup?? Just asking....no wire would be awesome....those spools get heavy especially if carrying a couple...i usually lug 9 and 11ga

·
Registered
57 Posts
It might be a little late now but for future reference in the cable class I took the instructor told us to use the stakes that signs are on along the road. I.e. like the election signs you see along the road at 8:01pm on election night they are fair game, they make great stakes if you cut them in half.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Those election signs also make awesome target stands out through the pasture!

I forgot to clean up the trash this year..i like to keep a supply of them!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess i should have been more clear....ive used up my roll of support wire i got from dakota snares ...and i needed some more...i went to hardware store and got a roll of alum wire same thickness as i had....i didnt like how shiney it was..

·
Registered
186 Posts
mauser06 said:
Trapped, do you have any pics of your setup?? Have you made many catches using that setup?? Just asking....no wire would be awesome....those spools get heavy especially if carrying a couple...i usually lug 9 and 11ga
mauser i'll get one today when i check traps. its easier then carring that wire round and cutters like i said.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
jacksmtnsniper said:
I guess i should have been more clear....ive used up my roll of support wire i got from dakota snares ...and i needed some more...i went to hardware store and got a roll of alum wire same thickness as i had....i didnt like how shiney it was..
was it aluminum or galvinized ? aluminum i thing would break off to easy bending it around and messing with it.
i got a roll of galvinized at home depot and its worked fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The advantage of using a heavy wire support is in the ability to bend the wire to place the loop in exactly the right position (left and right and up and down). As for using the candidate election sign wires- they still belong to someone, and that someone may gather them up to re-run for election in the following years. Politicians are very sensitive about the whereabouts of their precious unsightly campaign signs. I wouldn't touch one mysel;f!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts