The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if alfalfa is safe to feed deer during the winter? We've been feeding alfalfa for about 10 years now and they seem to love it. I've just been told to stop because the stalks in the baled alfalfa are too hard and will puncture a deers stomach. I spend alot of time in late winter and spring looking for sheds and can say I've never found a dead deer anywhere near my place. If alfalfa is bad for the deer why would most outfitters in Canada risk hurting their deer herd by feeding it to them?

What about timothy? I've also heard the same about that.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It won't put holes in their stomachs. Don't worry. Look at all the stuff they eat in the woods, and how it is more "stemy" than alfalfa.

Next time you gut a deer, look at how thick that stomach wall is. You think some alfalfa is going to go thru that?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know a guy who also feeds baled alfalfa. Those deer are so fussy about it they only eat the leaves and a tiny bit of the stem top and leave the rest behind.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
our deer wont touch alfalfa unless its still growing. as soon as we cut and bale it, they dont want it. weve thrown the broken bales into the woods and they walk right by.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes, first cut is rather stemy, later cuts are finer.

We stuck some first cut out one time, some real crap, and they ate the leaves only, left the stems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts