The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard of a ton of superstitions about hunting, shooting, etc. What are some of the one's you follow, whether you believe in them or not.

I'll begin with one I heard last year --when gutting a deer, always throw the heart away from the gut pile for future hunting luck.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had a lucky flannel shirt a few years back that had more rips than a fart convention...never should have gotten rid of it! Anybody know where I can get a new one? LOL

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
After gutting a deer, I get up, walk around it counter clockwise three times, whistle the Marine Corps Hymm, look for a dorkfish, and then say "Poor Stogey" outloud.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have a few. Never go prepared. I usually don't have a knife. I never carry a dragon rope well bc there are no dragons in the woods. I don't clean my knife thats used for gutting either.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Same flannel shirt from my ninth grade girlfriend. The tail has been chopped a few times and the collar is just threads.

Never use an arrow from the end of the quiver-always a middle one.

Shot of tequila on eve of first day of regular archery.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
rmh181 said:
I always kiss the 1st bullet that slides into the .270 chamber....unfortunately, that superstition didn't work out for me this past Sat.
I used to do that as well... seems like my luck has improved since I stopped though.

grousedog20 said:
I always have to have a Mr. Goodbar in my pack. My grandma used to get them for us for the first day, and since she is no longer with us I always make sure I have one!
We always carry a lucky candy bar with us. Not all of them are lucky though... If you eat it then kill a deer/turkey/bear, you shouldn't have eaten it... that was the lucky one!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have always used the same orange hat for birdhunting. Had it on when i got my first grouse, pheasant, and woodcock. Also i number my arrows when i get them to tune for hunting but i only ever use the odd numbered arrows. Never have all the same broadheads in my quiver 1 out of the 4 has to be different, never had any luck when they were all the same. Usually its 3 slick tricks and a carbon express f15.

·
Super Moderator
12,500 Posts
Superstition?? Not sure that is the correct term for me however:

I number my arrows, weigh, spin test and shoot them for accuracy each season. I shoot them at different yardages with broad heads selecting 4 arrows to hunt with and place them in my quiver. I started with 8 arrows and they have retained the same number over the years.

A few years back they were all hitting at the same point of impact at my test distances. So I put them in my quiver in numeric order and immediate shot a coyote with arrow #1 and broke it. So I had #2 to start the PA buck season which I killed a nice 8 point with #2. The next year #2 still shot to the POA and I harvest an OH 8 point with it.

The following Spring I went to Canada to hunt black bear and knocked a different arrow. I saw no shoot-able size bears. So on the last day I told the camp I was going to use my "Lucky" #2 arrow and returned with a 250 lb. bear.

This year I had the #2 arrow fourth in my quiver until the last Saturday of archery before gun season in OH. I had not taken a shot in PA or OH so far.

On the drive over I told my buddies I guess I will have to resort to my #2 arrow and before noon they were helping my cart out my OH 9 point.

Good news it is still straight as...you guess it an...arrow.
Use it first next year....that could be cheating??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I actually have 2

1. I always kiss my bullet before I chamber it and I say "Aim Small Miss Small"

2. I have a lucky shirt. It was from high school many years ago and many many pounds ago. A couple of years ago I forgot it so I ran to walmart bought a cheap shirt and some fabric markers. I had my daughter right on it. She has done so the past couple of years, and I have had decent luck, why change now?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hope to high heaven to never see a buck the Sunday before the first day, because every time I do, I never see a buck that season. I also have a "desperation lucky shirt" that will only be worn when absolutely needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts