The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The squirrels planted some black oil sunflower seeds from the feeder this winter on the bank at the back of my yard where my wife has her flower garden. She pulled them all out but two that I convinced her to leave. I have one that has a flower that measurers 13 inches across and that is with the petals wilted as it is now going to seed. I didn't think the black oil sunflowers got flowers that large.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I planted mammoth sunflowers for the first time this year from seed. THe package said for our area plant late may early june. My plants are still only 20" high. At this rate they won't mature until christmas.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Here's some sunflowers from Burpee seed (may have been the Mammoth ones you mentioned, or something similar). I planted these @ Mothers Day.

BH

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
IVN,

You may not have done anything wrong other than planting them in less then optimal soil/water/light conditions.

At my previous house we had horrible soil (99% sand) and I couldn't get anything to grow w/o a ton of soil amendments, and even then my sunflowers were always stunted/shabby.

At our new house the soil is much better, and I've still amended all my planting areas w/tons (literally!) of compost. So these babies are rooted in some very rich soil (and fed by an underground irrigation system I installed in and around my garden- yes, I'm a garden nerd
).

BH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts