The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday morning found me heading to a non-stocked trout stream about an hour from my house. Time was a factor on Sunday as I had two little league games to coach in the early afternoon, so I focused on a stream where I could fish for roughly 3 hours with minimal moving of my car.

I have had pretty decent success on this stream and based on the USGS gauges, the stream seemed safe - not too low and not too high from Saturday's rain showers. I wouldn't call it "just right", but with a hint of color in the water and the fact that the flows were better than the previous two times I had fished this stretch, I was pretty optimistic about the fishing.

On my third cast of the morning, I brought to hand a nice, but stocked, brook trout!

Every "trouty" looking spot was producing.

These flowers were lining a good portion of the stream banks.

The stocked brookies just kept showing up! I had to laugh at this point because I do horrible when I fish stocked trout streams with no wild trout. Give me a supposed "unstocked" wild trout stream and I'll find the stockies.

One of the bigger wild browns from Sunday's outing.

The trout were coming to hand at a pretty good pace - 23 trout in the first hour, 16 trout in the second hour (habitat was not as good), and 18 trout in the third hour. After exactly 3 hours of fishing, I was averaging 19 trout per hour.

Final breakdown resulted in 42 wild brown trout and 15 stocked brook trout.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Superb outing. 19 per hour is excellent.

How is the wild brown trout population? Is there a lot of them?

You said the stream is supposed to be unstocked. I assume that means it isn't stocked by the PAF&BC? Is there a local co-op that stocks the stream?

Excellent stream and trout pictures!

·
20,132 Posts
Ya that's a heck of an outing and nice job finding water. Things are BLEAK in my neck of the woods....raging torrent in other parts of the state. It's been a crazy Spring so far.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trout Traveler said:
How is the wild brown trout population? Is there a lot of them?

You said the stream is supposed to be unstocked. I assume that means it isn't stocked by the PAF&BC? Is there a local co-op that stocks the stream?
The wild brown trout population overall seems pretty decent - rated as Class A. However, I noticed that the bigger "browns" weren't showing up yesterday. But that's only one day worth of data (I hadn't fished the stream since 2014) and hardly enough to form a reasonable opinion on age classes.

The PFBC does not stock that stream and since I'm not local to the area, I'm unaware of any trout clubs in the area (don't see any clubs on Google maps). My understanding is that the PFBC would not grant a club permission to stock a Class A stream? Is this true?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trout 2003 said:
Ya that's a heck of an outing and nice job finding water. Things are BLEAK in my neck of the woods....raging torrent in other parts of the state. It's been a crazy Spring so far.
When I was making my final decision Sunday morning in front of my computer, this stream seemed to be right in the middle of areas that were blown out from Saturday's rains and areas that were in very desperate need of some rain.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
As part of Operation Future, class A streams are NOT supposed to be stocked by anyone, but the PAF&BC does stock some saying they are "under utilized " which means they think that will help sell more licenses.

The really bad thing about it is that stocking draws pressure and some anglers will keep wild browns as well as the stocked brookies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts