The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this was in the paper today. the farm bureau is now opposed because they want stronger trespass laws. the trespass laws were strengthened but they want them even stronger, thats a great thing. the part i found funny is where they mention church. apparently hunters should be in church on Sunday while hikers can enjoy the woods...hmmmm

HARRISBURG — A proposal to allow limited hunting in Pennsylvania on Sundays ran into opposition during an information hearing Tuesday and a key committee chairman said its final passage in the state House was in doubt.
After a contentious informational hearing in the Capitol, Game and Fisheries Committee Chairman Keith Gillespie said supporters will need to engage in some “damage control” if they hope to see the bill enacted.
Representatives of hunting organizations and the National Rifle Association spoke in favor of the measure, which would permit hunting on one Sunday during deer rifle season, one during deer archery season, and on a third Sunday to be designated by the Game Commission.
Pennsylvania has banned Sunday hunting since the 19th century, although there are currently exceptions for crows, foxes and coyotes, and for noncommercial private game reserves.
The bill, touted as a way to make it easier for younger people and those who work during the week to hunt, passed the state Senate comfortably in June. It would also toughen trespassing laws.
Representatives from the Keystone Trials Association and the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau told lawmakers they are opposed.
Hikers don’t want to lose three Sundays a year when they know there will not be hunters in the woods, and Farm Bureau members say even stronger provisions against trespassing are needed before they will be neutral on the bill.
Darrin Youker, a Farm Bureau lobbyist, told the committee the proposal should include a requirement that anyone hunting on Sundays have with them written permission from the landowner — although that requirement would not be in place for the other six days of the week. He said there is support from among his group’s farmers to maintain Pennsylvania’s tradition of a one-day-a-week break from hunting pressure.
The 20 organizations within the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen and Conservationists have all endorsed the Sunday hunting legislation, according to its executive director, Harold Daub.

Daub took aim at the Farm Bureau, saying farmers should not be dictating landowner rights, and told lawmakers a main argument against the change is a feeling that people should be in church on Sundays.
“While many of us agree that people should be in church, few of us want lawmakers infringing on our religious freedom,” Daub said.
Hikers, he said, routinely go into the woods during hunting season on the other six days of the week, including on state game lands.
Gillespie, R-York, said his survey of residents in his district indicate a majority are opposed. He said after the hearing that it’s unclear whether the committee will vote on the bill as scheduled later this month.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Yes, my original assessment that the entire SB should be scrapped and to take an all or nothing approach should be implemented has come to pass.
FB had quite the list of demands for the bill, just to remain "neutral" on the issue, including the only Sunday in archery being allowed was the first Sunday of the season....same for Flintlock....
Come on.....

Eff the Farm Bureau. Scrap the bill and work on a new one that allows the PGC to set the seasons, including any/all Sundays, or none at all, and be done with it. Tired of being strung along by the Farm Bureau. They are a bunch of MORONS!

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Interesting article.

"A requirement that anyone hunting on Sundays have with them written permission from the landowner — although that requirement would not be in place for the other six days of the week." So I can say oops I didn't know I was trespassing Monday thru Saturday when I wondered on the the farmers property but I better know on Sunday. Also we have to maintain Pennsylvania’s tradition of a one-day-a-week break from hunting pressure. The fish never get a break on Sundays. This is discrimination.

We'll have to see have this all plays out.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So, tell me, do the hikers avoid the public hunting lands except for those three Sundays? They aren't afraid any other day of the week.

If those hikers really want to use lands open to hunting, even though I personally believe those lands should be closed to all other activities except hunting during the seasons, 250 square inches of blaze orange,and a solid blaze orange hat should be mandatory for ALL persons visiting hunting areas all year long. Problem solved. Don't like it? Hike elsewhere.

Don't tell me I should be in church while our children are denied the ability to pray in school, while you allow others to continue eliminating GOD from the American way of life. It works both ways.

Personally, I won't be hunting Sunday

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm neutral on the subject but the landowners(farmers) I know are not in favor of Sunday hunting and say they will not allow public hunting on their property going forward if Sunday hunting would pass.

I realize this is just a small sample in a small area.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I'm neutral on the subject but the landowners(farmers) I know are not in favor of Sunday hunting and say they will not allow public hunting on their property going forward if Sunday hunting would pass.

I realize this is just a small sample in a small area.
Definitely small sample syndrome... just as every farmer I know either wants Sunday hunting or doesn't care. Have yet to meet one actually opposed to it despite what the PFB claims.
My sample reflects some areas of 3C,3D,4C,5C and 5D.
I've asked a few directly about it, and their take on the PFB's stance, "Farm Bureau don't buy my feed or pay my crop insurance" was a common response...
In my opinion, any farmer claiming they'll post their land if SH passes is making an idle threat. Any that follow though on it will quickly about-face once having done so starts impacting their bottom line.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lets all become Sunday coyote and crow hunters!

Not sure if this has been previously suggested...can one of our organized groups start a movement to activate people hunting coyote, crow and fox on Sunday? This will prove our support of our deeply treasured family activity. Let's prove to our fellow citizens the world won't end like all the naysayers indicate. PA is one of just 5 or so states in the USA without full Sunday hunting privilege's. We must get this changed ASAP!

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
Scrap the bill and work on a new one that allows the PGC to set the seasons, including any/all Sundays, or none at all, and be done with it. Tired of being strung along by the Farm Bureau. They are a bunch of MORONS!
Yep. My position from the beginning. This bill is garbage. A new, clean bill, that transfers all authority is the only bill hunters and sportsman's orgs that support SH should support moving forward. Time to reject anything but a full transfer to our game agency.

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
So, tell me, do the hikers avoid the public hunting lands except for those three Sundays? They aren't afraid any other day of the week.

If those hikers really want to use lands open to hunting, even though I personally believe those lands should be closed to all other activities except hunting during the seasons, 250 square inches of blaze orange,and a solid blaze orange hat should be mandatory for ALL persons visiting hunting areas all year long. Problem solved. Don't like it? Hike elsewhere.

Don't tell me I should be in church while our children are denied the ability to pray in school, while you allow others to continue eliminating GOD from the American way of life. It works both ways.
The Keystone Trails Association and other hiking groups that oppose SH are hypocrites. Data has been presented that shows that the most heavily used day by hikers and non hunters of the outdoors is Saturdays.......... So while they state worry about hunters when it comes to SH, they are out there with hunters and seemed to have survived............

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
A totally clean bill giving full regulatory authority to the PGC to allow carte blanc Sunday Hunting is a pipe dream. As I said before our legislators originally founded the PGC. 147 although not clean was an affirmative start to change the tide flow. Seems a perpetual slack tide is soon to be cemented.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
A few weeks ago I spoke to a farmer in northern Potter who said he would close his land to ALL hunting if Sundays were approved. And he has 8000+ acres.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A few weeks ago I spoke to a farmer in northern Potter who said he would close his land to ALL hunting if Sundays were approved. And he has 8000+ acres.

Lived in OH when they went through this. I had 3 farms that I hunted, 2 said they would close their land if Sunday hunting came about. It's been a few years since I hunted OH, but the last time I did I hunted both those farms on a Sunday.

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
Ah. That common threat that we so often hear. The reality is millions of acres of land that were previously closed on Sunday to hunting most species will be open. A massive net gain for hunters overall.

None of the private properties and farmers that I hunt will be shut off to Sunday hunting.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Ah. That common threat that we so often hear. The reality is 100s of thousands of acres of land that were previously closed on Sunday to hunting most species will be open. A massive net gain for hunters overall.

None of the private properties and farmers that I hunt will be shut off to Sunday hunting.
It isn't a threat. It's what the farmer told me, like it or not.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If we get any more primitive in this backward state we'll be buying Woolley mammoth tags.. A sad state of affairs caused by a bunch of liars who claim hunters knock on their door at 4:30 in the morning..I live within 2 miles of their president and he's a lying dog for even mentioning this..because no one would or did...let's close the malls, dining, movies, no kids or adult football everything that's entertainment and go sit in those church pews,,also and don't forget about the strip clubs the farmers love to attend... HYPOCRITES FIRST CLASS..

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I just talked and got permission to hunt 2 of the farms I normally hunt.Have not talked to the other owners I hunt on yet.Both asked my stand on Sunday hunting (I oppose).Both farms are not currently posted and allow hunting.Both informed me that their land WILL be posted if Sunday hunting goes thru.Not sure what it means for me.One said he will then take care of the deer HIS way! I wont be surprised next year,if it goes thru,to see signs "POSTED NO TRESPASSING DUE TO SUNDAY HUNTING".
Have 3 other farms to check on yet but I'm expecting the same results!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts